The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been told to do 50% water changes for my dwarf puffer tank , my nitrites readings go up to about 1.5 ppm after a water change so i called up my LFS and I was told i should only do 10% by my LFS.

How much do i do?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its fully cycled and been up for months. It was fishlessly done.
My LFS told me again that its normal for the fish to come up to the top gasping for air and not to worry.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean nitrates? For those, just change the water enough to keep them below 20ppm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So it sounds like there are nitrites in your tap water. Are you using water conditioner like Prime?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its deffintly nitrites.
I just took a test of my water ... 1.5pppm :eek:
I dont use Prime because getting it in the UK where i am is sooo hard!!
Is this why this is happening? Also how much water should i change?My LFS toldme 10% but as i said i have 2 dwarf puffers ( very messy ) and 3 ottos but i have been doing 40-50% as insturcted by so many on this site.
What should i do about my toxic levels? I also discovered my water softners broken so the waters got high PH and im already in a high PH level. I was told getting water out of my outside tap would help, is this true?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's too bad about the nitrites in the tap water. Maybe it's time to start collecting rain water if it rains a lot where you are. Or doing really small changes more frequently to let your filter handle the nitrites. Doing large WCs is going to introduce a nitrite spike.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A few different things to address here! First big one is the advise from the local shop. It is not "normal" for the fish to come to the top gasping. Kind of like putting a bag over your head for a few minutes until you pass out. Maybe not fatal but definitely not good for you! Search for better advise.
Water softeners are not all plumbed the same but it is not likely that getting water from the outside tap will be soft. In the US, it is more likely to find softeners do not feed the outside taps. It is a waste of salt to soften water for the yard. That will leave the outside tap hard and other faucets softened. One way to find out if the outside tap is running through the softener is pretty easy.
While feeling the pipe going in or out of the softener, run water through the outside tap. You will likely feel the pipe get cool if the water is moving through to the outside tap. I think it is not.
Whether using water from the softener is good will take some more thought. I prefer to use unsoftened water for my fish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When people say only change 10% of your water, this is not implying weekly. What they (myself included) mean is 10% at a time. If you want to change 50% of your water then do 5 10% water changes in a week.

Everyone is gonna have an opinion on what works best. I have found that many water problems are caused by over testing, leading to over compensation either with chemicals or excessive water changes. IMO cycled is only middle ground for a tank on its way to becoming established. The biological Eco system in your tank will level itself out, but if your doing all the fixing the problems won't go away. A one time 50% is a big shock to the system. And can be counter productive. So like i mentioned earlier start small and frequent and then as things get better you can adjust to larger and less frequent untill you find that perfect balance.

Also with water softeners (especially newer houses) the cold water in the kitchen is often not through the softener. This is easy to check by turning the water to the softener off and then turning the kitchen cold water on. If it still runs, it is not soft. If your water softener is broken, then all your water is hard and there is no need to go to the outside faucet anyways.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When people say only change 10% of your water, this is not implying weekly. What they (myself included) mean is 10% at a time. If you want to change 50% of your water then do 5 10% water changes in a week.

hahaha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just trying to make the point that when there are water issues to make more water changes, not bigger ones. And yes I realize the ratio is off with this method but I'm trying to keep it simple since this is the second thread the OP has started with the exact same question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts