The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have moved to a new home that is no longer on well water. When doing a water change with a python, do I add dechlor before the water goes in. Assuming the filter is off could I add dechlor after the tank has been refilled?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Water Changes

Good morning b0b...

I'm strictly "old school" when it comes to water changes. I'm still using the five gallon buckets. The research I've done says to put the dechlorinator directly into the tank before you add the new tap water. It will react with the new water to remove the chlorine and chloramine immediately. (From the book "The Simple Guide to Planted Aquariums"). I use Seachem's "Prime" and checked the label. It specifically says you can add the product directly into the aquarium.

Again, I'm still in the "dark ages" as far as water changes, so it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

B

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Nutrafin Aqua Plus dechlorinator for my goldfish tank and I add it to a bucket, then run the tap, leave it for just a couple of minutes to settle (I don't know whether it works instantly or what...). Then I add it to the tank using a 1L jug with the filter running so it gets mixed up with the tank water.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I have well water but that's what I have read also, turn off your filters (to save nitrifying bacteria from chlorine) add prime (or other brand ?) refill tank.

Oh, remember to remove some water first or it's going to get messy!!!

I think you need to wait a short while before restarting your filters, not sure how long, 10-15 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.