The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if anybody has used the Aqueon or Python running from downstairs to upstairs to change water. I know removing water from the tank would be easy using this system but what about filling up? I have a 25' aqueon now and was going to buy the extension but before I buy I wanted to know if it's going to be worth the effort if in case it does not work. With the extension 45' will just make it.

Thanks

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I am trying to figure out if anybody has used the Aqueon or Python running from downstairs to upstairs to change water. I know removing water from the tank would be easy using this system but what about filling up? I have a 25' aqueon now and was going to buy the extension but before I buy I wanted to know if it's going to be worth the effort if in case it does not work. With the extension 45' will just make it.

Thanks
I use an upstairs bathroom to change water on my tank downstairs via a python, but I don't empty the tank just refill. I empty it right into the backyard so I can water plants and not tax my cesspool. Refilling works like a charm. I don't think you would have any problem if you choose to empty the tank via an upstairs connection. You would just need enough fawcett pressure.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Instead of a python, use a normal garden hose. The pressure on the "pump" in a python will eventually snap it, and you're more likely to end up with a problem. You can buy the faucet to hose coupler at home depot/lowes/etc. Just take in the sink aerator and they can match threading.

I made a "hook" made of pvc pipe with a threaded adapter that hooks on the tank to drain to the level we want removed. Put other end in a drain, out window, door, tub, etc and drain. Then hook to sink and fill.

Like I said the plastic parts of a python are asking for more trouble, particularly with the added stress of a run up stairs.

Filling will be slower going "up" but will work fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of a python, use a normal garden hose. The pressure on the "pump" in a python will eventually snap it, and you're more likely to end up with a problem. You can buy the faucet to hose coupler at home depot/lowes/etc. Just take in the sink aerator and they can match threading.

I made a "hook" made of pvc pipe with a threaded adapter that hooks on the tank to drain to the level we want removed. Put other end in a drain, out window, door, tub, etc and drain. Then hook to sink and fill.

Like I said the plastic parts of a python are asking for more trouble, particularly with the added stress of a run up stairs.

Filling will be slower going "up" but will work fine.

Thanks but I already have a new Aqueon that I cannot return. Do I just put it up for sale and then make my own? How long will the plastic last?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I was able to take the 25' back and pay for the difference and buy the 50'.

IT WORKS GREAT!!!!

I cannot believe I have not used this earlier in life. WOW It flows upstairs with ease. I am using about 40-43' of the hose and oh man does it suction with that much difference in level. Highly recommended!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.