The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a 20 gallon long heavily planted shrimp tank with RCS and CBS.

Recently I've been overwhelmed with work, so I have not done any water changes in 3 weeks. This has got me thinking - how do I determine how necessary water changes are?

What do they replenish in an aquarium? What would I have to know if I was just going to do weekly top-offs?

My flora/fauna are all doing fine without the water changes, and I'm not sure if I should continue this streak or start up my 15% weekly changes again.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
:) Water changes are always good. It replaces a lot of minerals and electrolytes that were used up. Also by changing the water, you remove the organics and wastes that build up over time, but with a heavily planted tank with fast growing plants, the streak could go longer depending on your stock levels. How's the population of RCS? Is it enormous or barely noticeable?

-Will

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
If you are dosing fertilizers, a water change is good because it cuts down whatever excess has built up during your week of fertilizers (ie, your plants are using a lot of nitrate, but aren't using much potassium leading to a build up of potassium)

Other than that, if it's just shrimp in there, they don't create a lot of waste, so you could definitely get away with just topping off with RO or distilled water. I still recommend a monthly water change of 10%, just to freshen things up

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NeonFlux - I have around 40+ RCS, but the number is rapidly climbing. I might have to adjust the WC routine as the number peaks.

mordalphus - I don't dose fertilizers, but I wonder if any other chemicals could build up regardless. Thanks for the advice, I'll do monthly water changes as well as weekly top offs :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.