The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An easy way to do them?

I have my ponds set up to just turn a few valves to clean the filters and an auto fill. Is an easier way to do water changes on inside tanks than dragging out the gravel cleaner and pulling the hose inside to fill it back up? (I have well water)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I use a Python water changer that can be hooked up to a faucet/spigot.

Some people drill the bottom of their tanks with valves that can be used for sumps and easy water changes.

Some people plumb their tanks into their house plumbing to use automated water change systems.

There's tons of options if you're handy with plumbing DIY (or can afford to hire a professional).

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
As said, there are many ways to make it simple. Just depends on the situation and what you want to do to make it happen. My fish room was in a spare bedroom backing to the gargage where my softener sets. Plumbed a faucet throught the wall to get untreated water, added a PVC tube to reach all tanks and a reserve water barrel. With drains available and water stored, it becomes a matter of sticking the syphon in the drain and starting it. The drains lead outside to gardens or yard. When drained I turn on a pump in the reserve water and refill.
Most of the drain/refill time is used to clean glass, trim plants or just set and watch the fish.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I use the Lee's Ultimate Gravel Vac, which is similar to the Python. Hook it up to the faucet and the tank water drains into the sink. Flip a lever and water goes directly from the faucet into the tank.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
When using the "Python" method it is necessary to use the amount of de-chlor that is for the total amount of water in the tank before adding back the tapwater.
If you use well water this is mostly for those who use tap water who may read this.
But if you do use well water then what about the temp difference ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
When using the "Python" method it is necessary to use the amount of de-chlor that is for the total amount of water in the tank before adding back the tapwater.
If you use well water this is mostly for those who use tap water who may read this.
But if you do use well water then what about the temp difference ?
So add de chlor before refill not after? Could u explain the reason for this, I assumed It did not make much difference if done right after. Thanx.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I've never had fish so sensitive that it would kill them quickly but they do go into "flashing" right away if I forget the dechlor. It burns their soft tissue. Somewhat like a sunburn except on their gills? Just better practice to add first if fish are there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have well water so I don't need dechlor. Chlorine burns the gills on the fish and could cause death.

I'm going to check into those gravel cleaners. It sounds much easier than the way I do it now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.