The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I'm new to planted tanks-- mine's been up for a bit over two months, seems like it's going good, still learning my way around, at this point the main thing I'm uncertain about is the amount of water changes I should be aiming for. It's a ten gallon blackwater with one betta and maybe like 5 ghost shrimp along with some stowaway snails
Plant Rectangle Pet supply Organism Yellow

I did one habitual water change after introducing betta but lately I've been checking the water and for the past few weeks ammonia nitrates nitrites etc have been around 0 so aside from topping the water off a few days ago the only maintenance I've done is trimming plants. No algae, lots of plant growth, don't plan on using fertilizer/co2. Would topping off be sufficient for this setup? Should I just keep an eye on things & do water changes when nitrates rise? Do plants really suck up all the waste I should be concerned about? appreciate any advice, thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tank looks great and it sounds like you have a good balance going. I would do just as you suggested and keep an eye on the parameters over time. Unless you start noticing something getting off, water change won't be necessary. One thing you might think about if you are worried about it, is to get yourself a cheap TDS meter. This would allow you a quick and easy way to monitor the dissolved solids and you can water change based on your reading there over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tank looks great and it sounds like you have a good balance going. I would do just as you suggested and keep an eye on the parameters over time. Unless you start noticing something getting off, water change won't be necessary. One thing you might think about if you are worried about it, is to get yourself a cheap TDS meter. This would allow you a quick and easy way to monitor the dissolved solids and you can water change based on your reading there over time.
Oh thanks! I'll have to check that out!
What does "around zero" mean?
Hahaha I mean 0 for all! Think I've heard one too many person say it's impossible for nitrates to be completely 0 in an established tank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts