The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m setting up my first shrimp tank and I’m wondering how to handle water and water changes. Our city water changes quite a bit depending on whether the city is getting water from a well field or reservoir. TDS can vary fro 60 to over 200ppm. Right now, I’m planning to use distilled water and a remineralizer. I’m setting up a 10g tank and it will be shrimp only. How often should I expect to do water changes? How much water should I change? Do I do the water changes with the remineralized distilled water? Top off water should be distilled? Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A lot of your questions would be dependent on the substrate you plan to use, whether the tank will be planted and how heavily it will be planted, the type of fertilizer/remineralizer you'll be using, and the shrimp themselves.

In my case, I have a moderately planted 10g with neocaridinas that gets 70% weekly water changes using RO water. I fertilize once a week, right after the water change. No CO2, but I dose Excel daily. I top off using RO water only.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I’m setting up my first shrimp tank and I’m wondering how to handle water and water changes. Our city water changes quite a bit depending on whether the city is getting water from a well field or reservoir. TDS can vary fro 60 to over 200ppm. Right now, I’m planning to use distilled water and a remineralizer. I’m setting up a 10g tank and it will be shrimp only. How often should I expect to do water changes? How much water should I change? Do I do the water changes with the remineralized distilled water? Top off water should be distilled? Thanks.
What type of shrimp?
I have a 10 gallon CRS and I was doing 2 gallon water changes every other week. I've been told to up it to every week.
I use RO DI water and re-mineralize with salty bee shrimp gh+.
I have no CO2. Just have java Fern some Buce and moss.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
If your water parameters are going to vary that widely, it may be best to start with RO/DI water if you can swing it. Stability is going to be key - even with Neocaridina. While they can technically handle a wide range of parameters, you'll have more success and your colony will be healthier over all if things stay about the same.

I change 10-20 percent weekly, depending upon the tank. Each tank is different and sometimes you'll need to change more or less. But sticking to a routine will ultimately work best because it gives you an opportunity to export waste on a frequent basis. Figure out a way to make it enjoyable for you. Take time to look through your tanks, observe your critters and plants, take time to watch the water. Then water changes become less of a chore and more of a time to appreciate your tank. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes per week.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of your questions would be dependent on the substrate you plan to use, whether the tank will be planted and how heavily it will be planted, the type of fertilizer/remineralizer you'll be using, and the shrimp themselves.

In my case, I have a moderately planted 10g with neocaridinas that gets 70% weekly water changes using RO water. I fertilize once a week, right after the water change. No CO2, but I dose Excel daily. I top off using RO water only.
I’m going to use an inert substrate, tank will be planted with Java ferns, I’d welcome suggestions for remineralizer, and neocaridina shrimp. I’m planning easy shrimp and liking the chocolate form of red cherries.

What type of shrimp?
I have a 10 gallon CRS and I was doing 2 gallon water changes every other week. I've been told to up it to every week.
I plan to stock with neocaridinas, easy ones!
Do you let the remineralizer dissolve overnight or is it ready right away?

If your water parameters are going to vary that widely, it may be best to start with RO/DI water if you can swing it. Stability is going to be key - even with Neocaridina. While they can technically handle a wide range of parameters, you'll have more success and your colony will be healthier over all if things stay about the same.

I change 10-20 percent weekly, depending upon the tank. Each tank is different and sometimes you'll need to change more or less. But sticking to a routine will ultimately work best because it gives you an opportunity to export waste on a frequent basis. Figure out a way to make it enjoyable for you. Take time to look through your tanks, observe your critters and plants, take time to watch the water. Then water changes become less of a chore and more of a time to appreciate your tank. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes per week.
I don’t have an RO unit, but I do have a still. (I have carnivorous plants and they require water with low TDS.) Once I get the tank filled, for a ten gallon tank, making enough distilled water for a water change won’t be a big deal, especially if I do more frequent, small changes. I was planning on weekly.

Now that I’m retired, water changes are a lot more fun. My other tank is a 75g somewhat planted tank for clown loaches. I look forward to water changes and enjoy not having to rush through the process.

What type of shrimp?
I like the idea of buce along with the Java fern. Do you have any problem with the buce in the same water chemistry as the shrimp?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use Salty Shrimp gh/kh+ for my GF's Blue dream tank, after letting the RO water set overnight to temp acclimate, we mix and use right away. Can't say ive noticed any ill effects
Now that I’m retired, water changes are a lot more fun. My other tank is a 75g somewhat planted tank for clown loaches. I look forward to water changes and enjoy not having to rush through the process.
I love doing water changes. Really enjoy just taking my time and looking over everything. I currently have 10x Shrimp tanks, all 5 or 10 gallon, and one 20L that I keep tetras in.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I plan to stock with neocaridinas, easy ones!
I just dump it in a bucket with a pump it dissolves pretty fast.
Is your still copper? Shrimp are sensitive to copper not sure if any leaches out. Someone else may know.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just dump it in a bucket with a pump it dissolves pretty fast.
Is your still copper? Shrimp are sensitive to copper not sure if any leaches out. Someone else may know.
Innards of the still appear to be stainless steel. TDS of the product water is usually around 2 or 3 pmm and probably within the lower limit of measurement sensitivity of the meter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I suggest an RO unit, and skip the DI part. It will get the TDS very low, remove most harmful chemicals, plus you can drink the water for yourself. Just make sure your RO system has a carbon filter that removes chlorine or chloramine, and give it a small dose of Prime anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts