The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you do water changes on your planted tanks? Is it dependant on amount of dosing,plant load, fish load, filtration etc? Or just do one regardless to replenish what needs to be replenished. How often and how much? Looking for a general consensus. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
IMO & E., for properly maintaining any planted tank, and ensuring healthy & thriving fish, generally speaking the more frequent, and larger the water changes, the better. Primarily prevents the development of unhealthy conditions due to accumulation of wastes in these limited spaces, and replenishes needed mineral content for the benefit of livestock & plants. Smaller tanks, say under 100 gallons, will do well from receiving weekly wcs of 50% or more.
Many may argue that far less frequent wcs will suffice in a well-kept, balanced aquarium environment, but that is seldom the case in our busy lives, so the infusion of fresh new water will be always be a much acceptable mitigating approach.
It has also been shown many times over, that the higher the bio-load, the more reason there is to accelerate the frequency & quantity of wcs.
That's my .02 cents.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
40% weekly regardless of lighting.... had a nasty experience with a 50% change where the silicone at the top of the tank gave way... so now I'm superstitious about 50.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have done changes from 10% to 90% and have yet to see any harm to fish or plants that could be attributed to the water changes. Right now I am on a 50% every 2 weeks schedule, with a non-CO2, low medium light tank, with medium planting density and low fish load. I chose this because of my low NPK dosing, allowing me to not worry about build-up in NPK in one week.

Bump:
If more water changes is better than why changing 90% tap water daily makes plants sick?
Is this something you have seen consistently? Or, just once, or just as reported by someone, or as reported by several others? I haven't heard this before.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ADA Aquasoil user's change lot's of water initially, with no harm to plant's. NO?
Who changes 90% daily?
Sure, because tap water is a lesser evil than the ammonia released from new Aquasoil. But again, try changing 90% tap water every day on mature planted aquarium and tell us how it goes. All in support of the notion that more water changes is better for planted aquariums. If you prove it to be favorable then you are very lucky to have such a water source. Most tap waters differ.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Sure, because tap water is a lesser evil than the ammonia released from new Aquasoil. But again, try changing 90% tap water every day on mature planted aquarium and tell us how it goes. All in support of the notion that more water changes is better for planted aquariums. If you prove it to be favorable then you are very lucky to have such a water source. Most tap waters differ.

Repeat,,who changes 90 % daily?
Three weekly water changes of 50% was most I have ever done, and that was while raising some young Discus.
I had no plant's, but fishes grew to adult size in less than eight month's.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It can depend on your fish as well. If you have small discus in the tank then you'll need to do at least 25% daily to prevent stunting. If you have fully grown discus you'll want to do at least 50% a week, preferably splitting it into multiple changes.

If you overfeed you should change water more often

The less plants you have the more water you should change since less of the stuff in the water gets used by the plants.

Every tank is different, there isn't really one set answer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.