The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 29 gallon planted tank, with 10 dwarf sag, 3 bolbitis plants two attached to to a small piece of driftwood and one attached to artificial rock, and an anacharis bunch. For my fish I have 3 Black and gold neon tetras, (Plan to get more for a school) and a lot more stuff like more fish and shrimp and other stuff, Eco-complete, a aqueon t8 17 watt light lights go from 4pm to 2am. I just added plants and fish Friday June 7 2013 3 weeks prior I had cycled my tank by dosing Microbe-Lift Special Blend as it instructed, I use aqueon water conditioner when adding water. Question is when should I start doing water changes and how often should I, and are my plants getting enough nutrients or should I add a fertilizer. I would also like some hints on how to make my tank a for sure success. Also on my driftwood there is a white cotton hair substance is forming on my drift driftwood not sure what it is looks harmless but im new so I don't know heres a pic maybe its from the airstone?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/yourtanks/yt_22745e.jpg

· Registered
362 Posts
Water changes should be done about once per week, changing out about 10-30% of the water.

With 3 fish they are probably not producing tons of waste, which feed the plants. But you do have eco-complete which helps feed them. I don't have experience with the first two plants you mentioned, so I will someone else comment on their needs. Anacharis is super easy to grow, so good choice for a beginner plant. Wait a few weeks and see how things go, as when you add more fish they will produce more "fertilizer" for the plants. If you wanted to try some ferts, I would suggest Seachem flourish comprehensive. It has a little bit of most of the things your plants would need. If you have root feeders than try seachems root tabs.

The white stuff on your driftwood is fungus, and harmless. It can be easily removed with an algae scrapper or even an old (cleaned/rinsed) toothbrush.

As for tips, be patient, and add fish slowly. Add maybe 3 fish at time, give your tank a few weeks to recover and if things are going well, get a few a more. Most shrimp won't be able to live with fish to easily, it can be done but it is hard to breed them. A good starter shrimp for a tank with tetras is ghost shrimp, they are super cheap and a bit larger so won't become dinner so easily. Research on sites like this one is your best friend. Use the plant profile tab at the top and check out the 3 plants you have. It will have basic needs and tips from others who have grown them before. Hope this helps, and good luck.

· Registered
362 Posts
Just noticed the anacharis in the background of your pic. It looks a little rough, which could be from moving it to new tank, so it should come back. But it looks a bit yellow, like maybe it's not getting the right type of light. What color range is your bulb? It should be around 6500k.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Question is when should I start doing water changes and how often should I.
Water change frequency is based on many factors. Basically there are two methods in plant husbandry, high tech and low tech.

High tech includes high light, CO2 injection and excess nutrient supplements. Water changes for this method are typically 50% weekly. This primarily prevents buildup of excess nutrients.

Low tech can range from small weekly to none at all depending on the method used. Since your tank is low tech I would opt for a 50% monthly change. This is what I do on my low tech tank.

and are my plants getting enough nutrients or should I add a fertilizer.
Eco Complete is not a nutrient enriched substrate. It does have a high CEC which means it can absorb nutrients from the water and release them at the root zone. Since you have a very low bio-load the addition of fertilizers is required.

Based on your plant list I would choose water column dosing. The addition of root tabs for your dwarf sag would be a benefit as well. Most commercial liquid supplements are not complete. The two common misconceptions are Flourish comprehensive and API leaf zone. Neither are even close to a complete blend despite the way they are represented. To dose a complete nutrient solution one must use multiple commercial products. This gets quite expensive and confusing.

The easiest and cheapest way to fertilize the water column is using dry fertilizers. There are several methods to use. Many people like the Perpetual preservation system for low tech tanks. I personally use a modified PPS-pro regime for low tech. I use the standard daily dose for maintenance. However, I add extra on water change to bring the nutrient levels up to specific ranges.

There are many articles on PPS, PPS-Pro, EI (Estimative Index) being the most popular. Dry fertilizers can be purchased from several sources. I would recommend a member here Nilocg (search for him in the for sale section) or greenleafaquariums.com.

Also on my driftwood there is a white cotton hair substance is forming on my drift driftwood not sure what it is looks harmless but im new so I don't know heres a pic maybe its from the airstone?
This is very common for new wood. It's just a fungus that will eventually disappear. No worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.