The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to use the old bucket method of changing water due to distance from faucet. my question is...

do i have to drain all 50% water at once then fill up or could i just drain and replace the 1 bucket full at a time for a total of 50%

hope this makes sense

·
Registered
336 Posts
You need to take out what you want all at once. Otherwise the water taken out becomes diluted with the new, resulting in less of a total percentage desired change.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
On my 90 I do three 15 gallon water changes in sucession. Sometimes I will do 4 of these cycles. It works fine for me. I don't think you need to be to concerned about dilution as long as you are doing a 50% change in a short amount of time. How big is your tank?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my 90 I do three 15 gallon water changes in sucession. Sometimes I will do 4 of these cycles. It works fine for me. I don't think you need to be to concerned about dilution as long as you are doing a 50% change in a short amount of time. How big is your tank?

its a 40 breeder, from my understanding, i was planning on about 5 to 6 buckets doing it the 1 at a time method

·
Registered
791 Posts
its a 40 breeder, from my understanding, i was planning on about 5 to 6 buckets doing it the 1 at a time method
Assuming 4 gallons per bucket, if you repeatedly remove a bucket of water and add a bucket of water, it will take between 7 & 8 buckets to accomplish a true 50% water change in your tank, compared to just 5 if you removed 5 buckets of water and then added 5.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming 4 gallons per bucket, if you repeatedly remove a bucket of water and add a bucket of water, it will take between 7 & 8 buckets to accomplish a true 50% water change in your tank, compared to just 5 if you removed 5 buckets of water and then added 5.
well i guess that answers that then. to many buckets, i gotta come up with something better.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You have to take out what you need to take out. Then, fill up the tank.

Buy a Rubbermaid 30 gallon container with wheels at Home Depot. That's make your life easier. Or, an even better option is to buy a garden hose, a small pump & a faucet adapter. Well worth $$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.