The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
you can use distilled bottled water for water changes and topping off water due to evaporation. that is, if you dont have RO water. you may want to use 50% distilled and 50% tap with a water change and just distilled water to top off.
buy a mineral supplement for the distilled water when you just do a water change. no need for it when you top off.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
i have a 20g tank with shrimps in there ... for like 6 months already.
I decided to take out 30% of water and put in RO water (the tank been around for a while already .. i dont think anything would happen if I did too much water change)
The next day,, the tank water became white cloudy ... the shrimps are doing OK just the water is cloudy white .. I think I upset the bateria balance of the tank .. but so far the shrimps r doing fine .. so .. I told myself never do more than 10-20% change of water from now on .. even with my other tanks as well ... It had been like 4 days already and the water still cloudy .. I mean not as cloudy as before but still cloudy ...
I learned my lesson :(

·
Registered
217 Posts
What kind of mineral supplment would you add to the distilled water? I have a 20g long tank and I recently added 30 fire red cherries to it.So nowI use distilled water when I add or change water. I did a 15% water change I used 2 gallons of distilled and 1 gallon tap. But I didnt add anything to the distilled water. One more question do I add AmQuel and NovAqua Plus to the distilled? My other fish in the water are 14 cardnal tetras and four cory adolphi and 3 cory red stripes. I have an aquaclear 70 for filtration with a sponge on the intake.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
i have a 20g tank with shrimps in there ... for like 6 months already.
I decided to take out 30% of water and put in RO water (the tank been around for a while already .. i dont think anything would happen if I did too much water change)
The next day,, the tank water became white cloudy ... the shrimps are doing OK just the water is cloudy white .. I think I upset the bateria balance of the tank .. but so far the shrimps r doing fine .. so .. I told myself never do more than 10-20% change of water from now on .. even with my other tanks as well ... It had been like 4 days already and the water still cloudy .. I mean not as cloudy as before but still cloudy ...
I learned my lesson :(
did you do a gravel cleaning and clean your filter the same time of the water change?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Attention: JOHNNY313

Ok, all these abbreviations are confusing....... I don't know what RO or DI Water is if someone could help me out with that. I planned to take out 1 or 2 gallons every few days & just replace with Tap Water, will that work?

NO SHRIMP YET. JOHNNY313 You are sending me 5, remember? I paid you for them yesterday. Did you ship them yet? Wondering when to expect them.......

Here's what the tank will be:

10 gallon tank with some plants, a sponge filter & some substrate. Pretty simple.

What is this using Distilled water? First I heard of having to use that...... Thanks for the help Guys n Gals.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
To be honest if he CRS are your first shrimp you will have deaths. They are much harder to care for than any of the neo card's. In order to insure steady water parameters for CRS people use RO reverse osmosis and distilled water for water changes.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Attention: JOHNNY313

Ok, all these abbreviations are confusing....... I don't know what RO or DI Water is if someone could help me out with that. I planned to take out 1 or 2 gallons every few days & just replace with Tap Water, will that work?

NO SHRIMP YET. JOHNNY313 You are sending me 5, remember? I paid you for them yesterday. Did you ship them yet? Wondering when to expect them.......

Here's what the tank will be:

10 gallon tank with some plants, a sponge filter & some substrate. Pretty simple.

What is this using Distilled water? First I heard of having to use that...... Thanks for the help Guys n Gals.
RO is reverse osmosis water.
DI is Di-ionized water ( RO/DI is a purifier that can be hooked up to your sink that takes about 99.99% of everything out of your water.)

distilled water is water that has been sterilized by boiling it. you can actually get a gallon for a 1.00 in walmart.

tap water MAY be bad to use depending on your water conditions.

I will be shipping them out tomorrow. I will provide you a tracking number too. :) I will include extra moss too!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Johnny313. My tank will need to cycle because I just set it up today. I thought I had purchased substrate that was ready to use, in other words, no cycle needed........... It turns out, the sales person at Petco sold me substrate for Reef Tank so I returned it today & just finally got Fluval Shrimp Statum & water in the tank.

Now I need to figure out now to do a fishless cycle on the tank to get it ready for the shrimp. Do you think you should hold off on shipping the shrimp until I get closer to being ready or what? Let me know. You can PM me if you want. I'm going to copy this message & PM it to you. Thank you, Lesley

P.S. I really don't know where I'm going to keep the shrimp until my tank is ready....... I do have a 30 gallon with fish but I'm afraid the little shrimp may be lunch...........?????

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
You can put the shrimp in a breeder net/box in the larger tank if you need too, or you can simply set up the tank with the fluval stratum and then move over some of the filter media from the larger tank. The shrimps bio load is so small that you should be fine doing it that way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Betta Maniac......... I'll move some bio load over...... I have my Fluval Shrimp Stratum in the tank with the Sponge filter running now..... Very cloudy but will hopefully clear soon.... I'll then squeeze some filter media from my 30g & cross my fingers. Thanks again, great forum of people here. Lesley

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.