The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have been dreaming about a nature style aqua scape FW planted tank for years.
I have a few reefing in my life but would like to add the plants in my life.

I bought the WB mini 16 but looking for a nice stand.
also not sure that will be big enough and want to be one and done and not upgrade.

so I guess my question is smaller tanks vs medium tanks for aqua scaping?

oh the dems of the tank are:
mini 16:- 23.4"×11.8"×14.2"
3620- 35.4"×19.7"×17.7"

of course I want the bigger tank but I have the mini 16 just need to fins a nice stand that looks modern.
plus I have to somehow get this tank past the GF for some reason does not like a ton of water in the house?? haha

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
The significant other problem is substantial. I would not underestimate it. It definitely has determined a lot about what I keep. I would sort that out first and foremost. My wife to this day sees every new tank and stares in absolute shock at the size despite knowing the dimensions in advance.

Anyway the cost of making a larger tank look really nice is also much higher then smaller tanks. BUT you can do a lot more with a larger tank. There is a reason why aquascaping competitions are categorized by size of tank. So if you want to bring a tank up to a high level you will output a LOT more money for a larger tank.

On the other hand smaller tanks are nice because you can dump 30 dollars worth of plants in them a single new piece of driftwood. Rearrange a few things and tada totally new aquascape. I think I rescaped my Fluval Spec V at least a dozen times in the space of 18 months before I retired it for an upgrade.

So I guess my advice would be to do what I did. Buy a small tank and hone your skills at aquascaping. Secure an agreement from the significant other that you can upgrade down the road once you feel comfortable maintaining a larger tank, and then when the time comes you will be in a much better place all around.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
so I have been dreaming about a nature style aqua scape FW planted tank for years.
I have a few reefing in my life but would like to add the plants in my life.

I bought the WB mini 16 but looking for a nice stand.
also not sure that will be big enough and want to be one and done and not upgrade.

so I guess my question is smaller tanks vs medium tanks for aqua scaping?
I have one on an old 10g(?) metal stand that I put a cedar top on. And a second one on a 45g Aqueon stand I was using for the previous 45g tank. Hated that tank. Still it would be nice to fit both 16s on one 4 foot stand.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The significant other problem is substantial. I would not underestimate it. It definitely has determined a lot about what I keep. I would sort that out first and foremost. My wife to this day sees every new tank and stares in absolute shock at the size despite knowing the dimensions in advance.

Anyway the cost of making a larger tank look really nice is also much higher then smaller tanks. BUT you can do a lot more with a larger tank. There is a reason why aquascaping competitions are categorized by size of tank. So if you want to bring a tank up to a high level you will output a LOT more money for a larger tank.

On the other hand smaller tanks are nice because you can dump 30 dollars worth of plants in them a single new piece of driftwood. Rearrange a few things and tada totally new aquascape. I think I rescaped my Fluval Spec V at least a dozen times in the space of 18 months before I retired it for an upgrade.

So I guess my advice would be to do what I did. Buy a small tank and hone your skills at aquascaping. Secure an agreement from the significant other that you can upgrade down the road once you feel comfortable maintaining a larger tank, and then when the time comes you will be in a much better place all around.

Just my 2 cents.
yeah your right about sorting it out with the lady. we dont do kids so we each have a room. hers is an office and mine is a meditation/yoga room. that is where I want the FW planted tank. I am really feeling like i need more plants in my life pretty bad, odd feeling.
anyway I am hoping that she give me the go ahead to go what ever I want in that room..lol

yeah everything is more an larger tanks for sure. that said buy once cry once
but I do like your idea of honing my aquascaping skills on a smaller tank then moving up if I feel like it.

I have one on an old 10g(?) metal stand that I put a cedar top on. And a second one on a 45g Aqueon stand I was using for the previous 45g tank. Hated that tank. Still it would be nice to fit both 16s on one 4 foot stand.
ha I was just thinking that I could just get another mini 16 and set up side by side and do different scapes ran off the same Co2 system. I do have a long 4' table that could work for that. only problem is I want to kind the equipment below.

IDK then I would need 2 lights and 2 filters but hey I could have some fun with that.

+ it would be cheaper too.....well maybe depends on how crazy I go :/

I guess one of the most important factors is, is must look clean and nice. that is why I like the 3620 idea once nice tank vs 2 smaller but possible cluttered. I HATE clutter even tho I am a cluttery person. the struggle is real.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
Two small ones can look pretty nice, if everything is matching, even if it's not matching it can look really clean. I'm actually thinking of re-scaping one of my tanks and doing a similar project soon with a custom cabinet for the two.

There's a

a nice example from this forum from 2015:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two small ones can look pretty nice, if everything is matching, even if it's not matching it can look really clean. I'm actually thinking of re-scaping one of my tanks and doing a similar project soon with a custom cabinet for the two.

View attachment 1026771

View attachment 1026772 There's a

a nice example from this forum from 2015:
man that looks sweet with the scape you have there. if I did 2 smaller ones I would do 2 completely different styles/scapes tho. not sure if that would take away from the effect or not? so maybe just 1 tank might be the way to go?

·
Registered
134 Posts
man that looks sweet with the scape you have there. if I did 2 smaller ones I would do 2 completely different styles/scapes tho. not sure if that would take away from the effect or not? so maybe just 1 tank might be the way to go?
The above were examples I found, not mine, but yeah I really think you can get away with two tanks if you want to have some flexibility to play with multiple layouts at the same time and not have to commit to a large tank from the start. Also if you look up the ADA gallery or Green Aqua they have tank after tank next to each other with very different scapes, and that looks amazing. I think maybe making the hardware match will give you the consistency you seem to want, or go with a larger tank and hope your mate is cool with it, I’m still working on that lol.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The above were examples I found, not mine, but yeah I really think you can get away with two tanks if you want to have some flexibility to play with multiple layouts at the same time and not have to commit to a large tank from the start. Also if you look up the ADA gallery or Green Aqua they have tank after tank next to each other with very different scapes, and that looks amazing. I think maybe making the hardware match will give you the consistency you seem to want, or go with a larger tank and hope your mate is cool with it, I’m still working on that lol.
I love green aqua YT vids there one of the reason i want to get in to aqua scaping.
so at this point I have a 4' long side table thing I can put 2 clear mini 16s on. the trick in hiding all the gear like the canister inline heater and inline diffuser I want to keep the inside of the tank as natural as possible.
its crazy how pricey small stand are.

if anyone knows of a good stand for the 60P size aquariums do let me know .
I have seen the ikea besta but you must reinforce them correct?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love green aqua YT vids there one of the reason i want to get in to aqua scaping.
so at this point I have a 4' long side table thing I can put 2 clear mini 16s on. the trick in hiding all the gear like the canister inline heater and inline diffuser I want to keep the inside of the tank as natural as possible.
its crazy how pricey small stand are.

if anyone knows of a good stand for the 60P size aquariums do let me know .
I have seen the ikea besta but you must reinforce them correct?
Yeah the besta can be used. I would frame out the inside with 2x4’s. If you make a hole for hoses just make sure you cap it with a plastic insert and caulk the seams so water doesn’t get into the inside layers of the ikea walls. Or you can go full diy if you feel comfortable. The ADA style cabinets (not the new metal angled one but the cabinet looking ones) can be replicated with some nice level birch plywood and a countertop veneer applied to the outside. But that’s a good amount of work and still a bit pricey if you don’t have access to everything you need. Does your 4ft long side table have side panels or just legs? You could drill some holes in the top, side or back to run the hoses and cables inside.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the besta can be used. I would frame out the inside with 2x4’s. If you make a hole for hoses just make sure you cap it with a plastic insert and caulk the seams so water doesn’t get into the inside layers of the ikea walls. Or you can go full diy if you feel comfortable. The ADA style cabinets (not the new metal angled one but the cabinet looking ones) can be replicated with some nice level birch plywood and a countertop veneer applied to the outside. But that’s a good amount of work and still a bit pricey if you don’t have access to everything you need. Does your 4ft long side table have side panels or just legs? You could drill some holes in the top, side or back to run the hoses and cables inside.
Iwas just watching a YT video where a guy framed out the besta cabinet. that look like it might be the best look cheapest stand.
I thought about a full DIY out of plywood either walnut or birch but like you said its still a few hundred bucks. its the door that gets me as well as the vainer to the seems. that siad once does it would be a a lot stronger.

also thought of 80/20 T slot but once again to $$$ and you still have to skin the frame with something IDK I fins it odd that there not a reasonably price stand for small aquariums? maybe I am missing it.

no the table does is not close in just one of those entry hallway tables from pier one I had a 20L nano reef on it in the past quite strong but it would be a mess under with all the cords filters Co2 etc. so I am leaning towards a cabinet of some type.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Iwas just watching a YT video where a guy framed out the besta cabinet. that look like it might be the best look cheapest stand.
I thought about a full DIY out of plywood either walnut or birch but like you said its still a few hundred bucks. its the door that gets me as well as the vainer to the seems. that siad once does it would be a a lot stronger.

also thought of 80/20 T slot but once again to $$$ and you still have to skin the frame with something IDK I fins it odd that there not a reasonably price stand for small aquariums? maybe I am missing it.

no the table does is not close in just one of those entry hallway tables from pier one I had a 20L nano reef on it in the past quite strong but it would be a mess under with all the cords filters Co2 etc. so I am leaning towards a cabinet of some type.
No your not missing anything, I’m struggling with the same problem myself, I can’t justify spending on the stand either. I’m sure there are cheaper options at pet stores but it’s not going to give you the look your going for. It’s almost as if there is a market for this that’s untapped. I can do some construction documents, renders, and set up a site if someone wants to get into fabrication lol. I personally would like a modern mid century style one haha.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No your not missing anything, I’m struggling with the same problem myself, I can’t justify spending on the stand either. I’m sure there are cheaper options at pet stores but it’s not going to give you the look your going for. It’s almost as if there is a market for this that’s untapped. I can do some construction documents, renders, and set up a site if someone wants to get into fabrication lol. I personally would like a modern mid century style one haha.
Ok good glad I am not the only one thinking this. I agree there could be some $$ made off modern aquarium stands but then again people like us would be ,you want how much for a small aquarium stand?....haha

at this point a think I will stay with the WB clear mini 16 and get the ikea besta cabinet and reinforce it either with plywood or 1/4 or 2x4
of course its a 4+ hour drive each to Ikea but come spring maybe i'll do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.