The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the beginning stages of rebuilding my 75 gallon, my current tank is scratched and I'm going to replace it. I'm trying to decide what substrata to use and what water to use.

I have well water which is very hard 8.2, softened water and ro water. I have used ro water in a 55 gallon with fluval shrimp Substrate which I like a lot. But using ro in my 75 dosing ei with weekly water changes would be too much work. I assume if I use a substrata that will soften the water I'll wear out the Substrate quickly using hard water? Anyone have any easy way to do weekly water changes with ro water?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nope, RO is a tough one for most of us. You can put a 50 gallon trash can with a shutoff float to make water in if you have a water supply and drain for waste water which you can then pump to the aquarium using a pond pump or sump return pump.

But if I were you I would simply go with the water I had out of the tap unless it contained nitrates. My RO water still contains whatever the water company puts in to keep the PH high so even with pure RO water the PH is 8.2 My fish and plants do not seem to care.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went tho the Aquarium store and ordered a tank and I'm getting two holes drilled in the back one for a drain and one for the RO water. I'm going to run plumbing from the basement to the tank so I can fill and drain the tank without having to do anything just turn on the ro water. Now I have to figure out how to re mineralize the water coming into the tank.

·
Registered
541 Posts
well, normally you would make the RO fill a barrel with a heater and powerhead for mixing and just re-mineralize into that. You will need a pretty strong pump to overcome 8 or 10 foot of head plus the height of the tank from the floor, possibly 14 feet along with the resistance from the hose itself. Not impossible but you need to get it right or water will not get to the tank.

If you want the re-mineralizing to occur automatically you will have big trouble. Unless your tap water is really bad I see no upside to all this and suggest you simply stick with tap and a Python for changes. What you want to do will cost hundreds and may not be any more effective.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is my well water is high in nitrates and it has created problems for me in my high tech tank. I use my RO water for my low tech tank and have zero problems but I hardly ever change the water.

I think Ill run the holes I have drilled into the back to the drain and I can fill the tank with buckets for now. This way I can re-mineralize the ro water easily. I'll work on a barrel later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.