The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it because I thought it was cool that the heater could fit in the basket. But I will have to cut my hood for the filter to fit and now I'm wondering if getting the AQ70 was a stupid idea and I should have just gotten the AQ30 that would fit with my hood? (the Marineland LED 10g hood)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am of the opinion that no decision is stupid as long as you have a Dremel, the will to cut and enough patience to plan a nice looking cut.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I would do the same thing, get a big filter, modify the hood.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked my father and he said he could cut the hood no problem, so I'll stick with the 70! Are there any other filter medias I should look into besides the 3 it comes with?

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Get rid of the carbon, and replace it with either more bio or mechanical media. I'd go with some filter floss or an extra sponge.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I keep the carbon, but don't keep the bag, it will disintegrate in time making a huge mess.
Doesn't carbon have a high porous surface? So it's good for beneficial bacteria to grow?

·
Registered
36 Posts
More water volume in a small tank is a good thing. I used to run a AC 70 in a small 5 gallon reef. If your worried about flow put the AC 30 or 20 impeller in the 70.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow conflicting ideas. Why is the carbon no good? I want to try the bio pellets just to see what happens but i can already see they are going to be a hassle. Anyway, my AQ70 came today and where do i put the Hydor ThEO heater! Do I have to cut the sponge to get it to fit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts