The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so call me crazy, but i feel like the plantedtank shrimpers should hear this. Maybe its a coincidence, but i feel like that is unlikely.

I keep RCS in a 5.5 gallon with relatively fast growing plants, CO2 and high lights. You may infer that im crazy based on this. But, lately my RCS are doing much better, berrying up, and i've even got a few dozen shrimplets.

That said, i haven't dosed traces for about two (2) weeks. Two days ago, i dosed a MINUSCULE amout of trace, and my cherries turned whitish/purpleish, and became very lethargic. A day later and they're fine again.

I dose with a syringe. My schedule right now is 1.0 ml of excel, and 0.7 ml each of the flourish NPK line. I run my CO2 on low, aiming for approx. 5-10 ppm CO2 (judging by pH and kH) and hadn't changed anything but adding Trace.

I dosed 0.1 ml Flourish Trace. My shrimp turned purple.

Consider this a PSA. I'm going to try comprehensive in a week or so after the little guys recover, and ill post an update.

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's part of my line of thinking. That said, if you read the directions, i'm dosing less than 20% the suggested amount and still having problems. Trace is 0.0032% copper, and comprehensive is 0.0001%. There are plenty of posts around that say something like "ahw its only trace copper" and "your plants need it" and "comprehensive/CSM-B/trace" are okay in small amounts.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Ouch, sounds like they are out of breath and gagging. You are sure there's nothing else entering the water, right? Strange. Try Plantex csm+b in a EI liquid solution mix using half dosage or a little more, I've had no problems with it. Sorry to hear your shrimps are having a hard time with Flourish Trace.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
He dosed 20% the amount called for in the instructions. That sounds reasonably prudent to me. :(
Sorry I haven't dosed trace for a while, not sure the dose %.

I think another explanation is that it doesn't disperse well, like when I dose minute amounts of H2O2 but it settles where the shrimp is feeding, concentrated in a little area and they die. In a 5.5 gallon tank that might be more of a problem especially with low flow. Maybe dilute with a tub of tank water first then pour it back in? Or swish it around when you dose.

Or just don't dose the water column, you can get trace elements from shrimp and fish food... just root tabs + regular feeding have always been sufficient for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dose 0.5 mL flourish trace in my 9 gallon and notice no issues with my CRS or RCS. I run an Eheim 2213 so the flow may disperse it better than your tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone see the combination of 3 things to be potentially stressful and deadly for the shrimp?

Excel, CO2, and Trace?

I don't do Trace, specifically for the copper content. ...just don't want to risk it.
Lots of people have had shrimp die-offs due to Excel, as well as CO2.

It might be worth considering some of the alternatives suggested here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts