The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try Cories in a warmer tank (78-79F), slightly acidic (6.6 pH). I've noticed there are many choices of Corydoras, but unsure how to narrow the selection. Both Pgymy and Sterbai seem to tolerate 81-82F (at least per my research) but I'd also like to hear about real experiences. I'm creating a 20L with GBR's, rummynose tetras, sand substrate, high filtration, and South American plants (TBD).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have bronze corys, they are about 2" long and I keep them at 78F. I keep mine with bolivian rams, and they take the ram's aggression pretty well.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I've kept pretty much every type of Cory I could get my hands on over the years - probably around 12 different strains- in my various discus tanks @ temps usually around 82 F and pH down to 6.0, and from memory, they all did exceptionally well over many months, with the possible exception of Panda Cories, which seemed to be a little more sensitive to the higher temps than any others I'd kept.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'd like to try Cories in a warmer tank (78-79F), slightly acidic (6.6 pH). I've noticed there are many choices of Corydoras, but unsure how to narrow the selection. Both Pgymy and Sterbai seem to tolerate 81-82F (at least per my research) but I'd also like to hear about real experiences. I'm creating a 20L with GBR's, rummynose tetras, sand substrate, high filtration, and South American plants (TBD).
Corydoras sterbai is my favorite fish. I’ve got about twelve Sterbai ten years ago and now I have maybe hundred Sterbai in my aquariums. No heaters, temperature from 18C to 35C or 64F to 95F, dKH < 1, pH 5 to 6, white fine sand and daily feedings. Beautiful fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I too have kept several species of corydora over a few year's, and would choose Sterbai for warmer water's ,maybe peppered also.
Nearly all of the other's will do better ,longer,with cooler temp's= 72 to 76 degree's F.
Could easily be the difference between fishes that live for a few week's/month's, and those that live four + year's.
Just my own unscientific observation's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sterbai and Adolf cories are the only two I know that can handle the high temperatures.

Pygmies will have their life span shortened at High temperatures

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Another vote for sterbai cory. Most other species have shorter life spans when kept in warm waters.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of your feedback. I bought 6 Sterbai's, and it's reassuring to know they'll do fine in the warmer temps. They're extra active in the 10G QT, and I'm excited to get them into their final home.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have about 10-15 Pygmaeus and Habrosus Corys. I've never tried Hastatus. They all do very well for me in 80* water in a Discus/community tank.
The Habrosus are more of a bottom dweller and the Pygmaeus are mid water, especially if you have taller plants.

Tommy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.