The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to planted tanks, so please forgive my ignorance. I have a Penn-Plax Vertex 2.7 gallon tank that I would like to plant in the new year. I may put shrimp in it, or leave it as a decorative piece. I have plans to put one of those miniature bonsais in there with moss (potentially spiky moss?), monte carlo, marimo, and DHG. I'm not looking to carpet using the monte carlo or the DHG but I would like it to do well. The tank is currently empty until I figure out what to do, but I have plenty of leftover Seachem aquavitro humate substrate from my other tank. I think I want to use inert substrate this time around, but I'm under the impression that DHG is primarily a root-feeder. Should I just place the humate in the areas I have DHG in or just use root tabs? I've never used root tabs or ferts so I'm pretty clueless - when the initial root tab has been depleted, is it safe to uproot the DHG and replace the tab or is there something else I should be doing?

Please feel free to make suggestions. If it helps, my intention is to create a miniature 'park', with the DHG standing in as tufts of long grass here and there, the monte carlo as bushes, so I'm not worried about spread or carpeting. This tank also currently has no lighting so please feel free to suggest appropriate clip-on lighting. I'm not looking to use CO2 in this set up, I'm not ready for that step.

As a side-question, how stupid an idea is it to partially carpet the tank with flattened marimo? I feel like it would give a great grassy look but I've never seen anyone do it so I feel like there is a reason for that. I get that it is expensive but there's nothing cheap about aquariums in the first place, and I'd probably have to fasten it to mesh or something but I'd like to hear what people with actual experience have to say. Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.