The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in starting a tank with shrimp... Even ghost shrimp as I have no experience with shrimp at all. I have a 10 gallon in which I am holding 2 firemouths for my brother and I want to get them out. Lol! The 10g is my first tank ever it's from walmart with the cheap walmart hood. I have been looking through this forum for a while now and I have found a lot of people using cfl but I have no idea what that means or stands for. I also want to grow plants in the 10g and I have a java fern in there that melted! I looked it up and there is such a wide range of that kind of light bulb that I don't know what to get or what kind of fixture should I get. I have a reptile lamp fixture that I could use if that works... I have never had shrimp so I don't really know which one should I get. I know that pet supermarket sells ghost shrimp at 10 - $2.

I also have a 55g which I has fish that I would absolutely love to add Shrimp but I think the fish I have in it will go to work on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
CFL stands for Compact Fluorescent (Light?) Bulb. They're the little curly cue bulbs that are "energy efficient" but screw into a regular light socket. They come in different K Values but the best for fish/shrimp/plants are I believe 6500k to 10000k, easiest to find in Wal Mart or other places is 6700k Day Light bulb. They run a bit more expensive than a regular CFL bulb but they're much better for aquarium hobby.

As for getting shrimp for your tank, I think Ghost Shrimp are UGLY. Look around on the forums here for some Cherry Shrimp or other Neocaridina Species, they're very hardy for the most part and breed readily in almost any environment. Very good to get a start with.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm partial to Amanos, I bought a 40G long, same footprint as a 55G for their own tank. 10G should be fine for smaller shrimps. I have 6 small Amanos in a 12G Eclipse and I got to say they're a poop factory.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You should be able to get a hood fairly easily for the 10 gallon tank with two CFLs. What did you mean that your java fern melted :O? For shrimp moss or other plants that provide shelter is a good idea. You also should purchase an air pump (walmart also carries this) and sponge filters (from a pet store or online) fo the shrimp.

Starting with ghost shrimp is cheaper than starting with RCS or others. But sometimes ghost shrimp will not breed in freshwater (for some they do, not mine). After you get comfortable with the conditions and feedings you could upgrade to RCS or others.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What type of light does the walmart hood use?

For about $20.00, I believe, you can get an "economy" hood for a 10g. Those are designed to hold two two incandescent light bulbs. Talk them into taking the hood out of the box for you so you can see what kind of space there is. Instead of two incandescent bulbs, you can use the CFLs if there is space for them. If there is not, you could use a bulb such as the Zoo Med Laboratories 679914 Ultrasun Compact Fluorescent Bulb which fits into smaller spaces. Don't accidentally pick up the version of the Zoo Med light for reefs, however. (You get one guess as to why I'm warning you about that.)

It's possible that the Walmart hood works this way, however.

Leah

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
What type of light does the walmart hood use?

For about $20.00, I believe, you can get an "economy" hood for a 10g. Those are designed to hold two two incandescent light bulbs. Talk them into taking the hood out of the box for you so you can see what kind of space there is. Instead of two incandescent bulbs, you can use the CFLs if there is space for them. If there is not, you could use a bulb such as the Zoo Med Laboratories 679914 Ultrasun Compact Fluorescent Bulb which fits into smaller spaces. Don't accidentally pick up the version of the Zoo Med light for reefs, however. (You get one guess as to why I'm warning you about that.)

It's possible that the Walmart hood works this way, however.

Leah
The walmart near me carries that economy hood you are talking about. I swapped out the two incandescent bulbs for CFLs so I believe we have the same hoods. The light fixture is apart from the actual tank cover separated by glass to protect it from humidity.

I am not sure about the hood above but it looks like you can switch the bulbs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts