The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very shortly I am going to be redoing my 29 gallon tank. As of right now it is a low lighted tank that I am not very happy with. I am planning on getting brighter lights and a paintball Co2 system to use on this tank. My thoughts (and please correct me or lead me in the direction) is I want to try my hands on some more light demanding plants (or atleast some with more color then green. LoL)

Here is a list of plants that I have been looking at that I like:

Echinodorus "St Elmo's Fire
Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens)
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Alernatherea Reineckii Var. Roseafolia
Cryptocoryne Blassii
Echinodorus Red Flame
Echinodorus ‘Frans Stoffels’
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Echinodorus ‘Kleiner Prinz’
Ludwigia Glandulosa (Ludwigia Peruensis)
Echinodorus Indian Red
Fontinalis Antipyretica (Willow Moss)
Nymphaea Stellata (Dwarf Lily)
Pennywort

I am not going to get all those I will narrow it down to less than that and maybe even add some different plants to final list that I am going to get.
My question to all of you is: Does anyone have any experience growing these plants? What am I in for? All I am use to growing is low lighted plants

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Those Echinodorus's will all be fairly low light. St elmos swords are awesome, but the way!

Hygrophila corymbosa will appreciate high light and CO2, and will have better color, but it doesn't require it. Pretty undemanding really.

Ludwiga repens is pretty easy likes high light though, and will show better color under high light.

In general most of these aren't super difficult IME

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Zachary. I don't want to get into anything really difficult yet soo those might work out for me then. I have only seen pictures of these plants but St. Elmo's sword does look really good!

·
Registered
544 Posts
The Alernatherea Reineckii Var. Roseafolia will do great! I have about 8 stems right now and I started out with 4. So you can easily split them and they are gorgeous, especially the underside of the leave. You wouldn't want to hide them inside a collection of plants though because they will stand out in your tank. So that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens)- Great plant, loves higher light but will grow in low light. will be more green, with slight red under the leaves in low light.

Hemianthus Callitrichoides - could not get it to grow in low light

Alernatherea Reineckii Var. Roseafolia - could not get it to grow in low light lol

Echinodorus Red Flame - gets big! it grew very very slowly for me in my low light

Hygrophila Corymbosa - pain in the butt for me, it drops leaves in low light for me, but is a GREAT plant, very nice large leaves.

Ludwigia Glandulosa (Ludwigia Peruensis) - drops leaves in low light, very slow grower in med. light.

Nymphaea Stellata (Dwarf Lily) - great plant!!! one of my favorite, make sure you trim the leaves where you want the height to be, trim off any leave heading to the surface and it will stay compact.

Pennywort - monster of a plant, it took over the whole right side of my tank. good plant though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Noahma, That gives me a idea what to expect with these plants. It also lets me know what I could add to my Low to medium lighted tank. I have been wanting to figure out what I could add in it for color for awhile now. I might try some Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens) in that tank and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Thank you Noahma, That gives me a idea what to expect with these plants. It also lets me know what I could add to my Low to medium lighted tank. I have been wanting to figure out what I could add in it for color for awhile now. I might try some Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens) in that tank and see what happens.
Not a problem, i think I have tried most low light plants now lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a problem, i think I have tried most low light plants now lol
I haven't grown that many plants LoL. Just a short list of stuff that I have actually gotten to go in my low lighted tank: Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana), Echinodorus cordifolius var. 'marble queen' "Marble Queen Radican Sword", Echinodorus parviflorus "Rosette Sword",Echinodorus bleheri, Echinodorus schlueteri x barthii "Ozelot Sword", Rotala indica, duckweed (hitchhiker plant that I can't get rid of LoL).

So with this 29gall redo I wanting something with more color LoL. The more I think about it I think I am going to give it a shot with the plants on that list. I can always add more or even take away later. They don't seem to be that demanding for what y'all are saying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.