The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marineland c160 with 5/8 tubing.
Filter sits ~2ft below and left of tank with 2.5ft of outflow tubing and 4ft of inflow tubing.
I was wondering about what size i need to order?
5/8 is roughly 16mm which seems to be the answer but I just wanted a little experienced advice.

Tank only houses 20+ anubias right now and a bunch of corys.
Could/should I down size the tubing (stock 5/8) for more flow?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I think you are asking if it would be worth changing from 16MM to 5/8"?
I would not think it would make enough difference to see. I'm guessing that just a bit of grime would change things more.
But then I am guessing at that but I think there are quite a few who do change out the tubing but for other reasons like cut too short, etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reworded question.

Sorry if it wasn't very clear...
Main question is, what size lily pipes do i need to buy for 5/8 ID tubing (both in/out)

AND, would it be worth adapting a slightly smaller outflow line to increase pressure?

Such as, 5/8 tube from canister to 1/2 tube into pipes.

Really only want a new outflow since the stock one is junk and prevents the proper whirlpool effect.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I would go with the size to fit the tubing and not try the other changes. I think you are speaking of velocity rather than pressure changing. I would think you might get a very small bump in velocity but at the loss of flow through the filter. The pressure on filters is so low that they are more likely to lose flow rather than increase speed of that flow. You can get more velocity on a garden hose by putting a thumb over the end but that is working with pressure like 40PSI or more. I doubt that a filter has even 5PSI.
Part of the problem of tying in smaller tubing is the way the reducer are made. We use a 5/8 to 1/2 inch reducer but they fit inside the tubing. That leaves the real inside opening down to about a 1/4"!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes perfect sense!
Guess i was trying to be cheap and increase a lil flow at the same time.
17mm pipes it is.
Flow is good, probably just not getting the desired effect out of the original outflow.

Thanks yall,
Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.