The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

I hate pulling out my diffusor to bleach it. I don't mind the process but mine is tucked behind plants, I now have only hard line tubing for 80% of my co2 which makes it hard to put everything back.

I was reading how some people use Excel to clean instead of bleach to not have to worry about using Prime or something else to get the bleach out. That got me thinking.

Most of us know about spot treating algae. This week I started to "spot treat" my diffusor. I pull the solioid plug and let all the pressure leave. Then I spot treat it. Some algae goes away ASAP. Then, once you turn it on, you see it "open" up, and the co2 pushes more off. Mine is still dirty but if you stay on top of this, you can keep it clean with about 5 min of work.

Just wanted to share, I think I solved my only issue I have with glass diffusors.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using Excel to clean it is a pretty common method ;)

As you mentioned however, if you take it out, using bleach and/or hydrogen peroxide are also possible methods to use.
Oh, I understand that. I was just saying how now a bell went off in my head and I can just clean it in the tank but using spot treating methods. It just makes it simple, no pulling it out of the tank anymore, just turn the co2 off for a few minutes, fill a syringe up with excel and do it all in the tank. It just means no more pulling it out of the tank every week and soaking it. Just keep it clean this way.

I know this isn't some crazy discovery, just a way to make life more simple that I thought I would share.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Sorry if I am thread jacking, but I was curious about how to clean glassware as well. I am currently using the bleach method to clean all of my glassware but I am worried that this could cause complications for my inverts. I make sure I clean it, but this still freaks me out.

I've never tried hydrogen peroxide to try to clean the glassware. Are there members out there that have experiences with this? Are they any other less toxic means to clean glassware?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Sorry if I am thread jacking, but I was curious about how to clean glassware as well. I am currently using the bleach method to clean all of my glassware but I am worried that this could cause complications for my inverts. I make sure I clean it, but this still freaks me out.

I've never tried hydrogen peroxide to try to clean the glassware. Are there members out there that have experiences with this? Are they any other less toxic means to clean glassware?
Maybe ammonia???? I've never used it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts