The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for plants to go into my Discus tanks. They must be native to South America, able to handle 85 degrees F, and PH below 6.0. PM me please. Thanks........DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of lighting do you have? CO2? ferts? tank size? The easiest would be Echinodorus species...
I have all the lights, CO2, and ferts a plant could ask for. The Discus tanks are 110 (380 watts, pressurized CO2) and 46 (225 watts, pressurized CO2) I dose TMG and GW ferts. What type of Echinodorus do you have available?.......DC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aquariumplants.com has a section for Warm Water/Discus plants. If I'm remembering my native locations right, looks like Echinodorus, Sagittaria and Valls are some of your options.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a bunch of hydrocotyle leucocephala that you can have for shipping.
Kewl, do you take non credit card paypal? PM me payment info. Thanks....DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aquariumplants.com has a section for Warm Water/Discus plants. If I'm remembering my native locations right, looks like Echinodorus, Sagittaria and Valls are some of your options.
Thanks, nothing against aquariumplants.com, I have bought equipment from them but I prefer to get plants from other hobbyists, i.e., I share/they share.....DC

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
DC. not sure if its warm water, but I'm guessing it is being from Brazil. I have a couple of starts of Hygrophila pantanal wavy. Cool, slightly wavy grassy look and a tough plant. I could trade you for one of those Apisto caves or cover the shipping. I don't have much as I cut it back hard and tossed them a few weeks back. But it grows pretty fast. Let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks, nothing against aquariumplants.com, I have bought equipment from them but I prefer to get plants from other hobbyists, i.e., I share/they share.....DC
I'm with you there on the getting plants from others. I have no experience at all with aquariumplants.com, but I figured that list ought to give some hints to what plants will be okay at those higher temps.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DC. not sure if its warm water, but I'm guessing it is being from Brazil. I have a couple of starts of Hygrophila pantanal wavy. Cool, slightly wavy grassy look and a tough plant. I could trade you for one of those Apisto caves or cover the shipping. I don't have much as I cut it back hard and tossed them a few weeks back. But it grows pretty fast. Let me know.
Sounds good, let me know when you are ready for another trim. I need to get a few more Apisto caves anyway, will be putting at least 2 harems in the remodeled fish room......DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with you there on the getting plants from others. I have no experience at all with aquariumplants.com, but I figured that list ought to give some hints to what plants will be okay at those higher temps.
I have had no problems at all with my orders from them. Some of the plants on that list, although warm water, are not native to S.A........DC

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've got a couple small swords. One is a red melon, not sure what the other one is. I'll take some pics later tonight.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a couple small swords. One is a red melon, not sure what the other one is. I'll take some pics later tonight.
Kewl, the 46 is filling up nicely.......DC

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't have anything for you but a URL... Tropica Go to the Advanced Search (at the top) and fill out your specs (high light, continent, tank temp, pH, etc... ) It will spit out a list to the right of what is available. Don't forget, the specs need to be metric.

Just a quickie got me these... (30C, pH5.5, South America, High Light, Very Soft Water)

Echinodorus angustifolius

Echinodorus cordifolius ssp. fluitans

Echinodorus parviflorus (''peruensis'')

Heteranthera zosterifolia

Ludwigia helminthorrhiza

Phyllanthus fluitans

Pistia stratiotes

·
Registered
110 Posts
By upping the pH to 6.0 and using Soft (as opposed to Very Soft) for water harness it opened up the list a bit...

Bacopa australis

Bacopa monnieri

Echinodorus 'Ozelot'

Echinodorus 'Ozelot' (Green)

Echinodorus 'Red Diamond'

Echinodorus 'Rosé'

Echinodorus 'Rubin'

Echinodorus angustifolius

Echinodorus bleheri

Echinodorus cordifolius ssp. fluitans

Echinodorus parviflorus (''peruensis'')

Gymnocoronis spilanthoides

Heteranthera zosterifolia

Hygrophila guianensis

Lilaeopsis macloviana

Ludwigia helminthorrhiza

Phyllanthus fluitans

Pistia stratiotes

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tropica is not the be-all end-all of this type of stuff, but I have been unable to find a more comprehensive list anywhere on the web...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts