The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have just a few stems of this right now but want to start up a tank with this as a focal point. Anyone have any? I need as much as you may have.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
just some first hand shipping advice about LA. make sure you use a method that does not take more than 2 days, and if available use a heat pack. LA is a very harty plant that normally ships well. however possibly because it's stem is thick yet hollow and holds a lot of water, while it's leaves are very thin and delicate, it will get ruined easily if exposed to sub freezing temperatures for long. I suggest you wait till March to ship this plant especially up in Canada. If you already have a few stems of LA, better to culture them in your new tank since under good conditions they will grow quickly. Don't bunch them up, give each stem a few inches of space and you will get lots of side shoots you can turn into new stems. wait a few weeks with your new tank before introducing the LA to be sure the new tank water is well cycled. use pieces of fert tabs under the base of each stem to encourage more explosive growth, and of course provide at least 2.5wpg or more to encourage the LA to grow and color nicely. keeping your phosphates and nitrates under 5ppm seems to help their color deepen even further, from reds to purples.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts