The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm working on a new tank and couldn't find any large Bolbitis plants. Either the Bolbitis Heudelotii or the Bolbitis Hereroclita around 6ish inches tall would be fantastic if anyone has any for sale.

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
You don't want B. heteroclita,that's not a true aquatic fern- or even part aquatic. I have my doubts on the B. difformis...but then again,I've seen smaller forms of B.heudelotii passed as B.difformis and yes,it looks good. True B. difformis has parsley like foliage and wont grow for anybody underwater Co2 or no.
B.heudelotii is no slam dunk easy plant and is in such high demand supplies seem to run out half the year.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't want B. heteroclita,that's not a true aquatic fern- or even part aquatic.
I've seen them in tanks and sellers talking about them. It wouldn't be my first choice to use though anyway.

I have my doubts on the B. difformis...but then again,I've seen smaller forms of B.heudelotii passed as B.difformis and yes,it looks good. True B. difformis has parsley like foliage and wont grow for anybody underwater Co2 or no.
B.heudelotii is no slam dunk easy plant and is in such high demand supplies seem to run out half the year.
I this this stuff everywhere as a super slow growing easy plant. I found "pots" online, which I assume to be about 4 inches maybe. The "lost garden" idea I'm working for isn't going to look very lost with small plants, but if it's all I have to work with... I now have 2 pots on order, but I'd still like a large established plant.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just a bit of a warning on B. difformis..George Farmer has said its "Only slowly died for me". Tropica I think does not even carry it. I do believe the posts on the internet of at least three B.heudelotii cultivars out there. The common big one we see in the Amano Lisbon tank, a smaller form that Rachel O Leary has shown on her youtube channel,and a form that is almost crested..sort of like a Windelov Java fern only not as much crest to each leaf. More of a wavy leaf as I recall.
When people do say they grown B.difformis?..instead of arguing I just take that as they really have a small form of B.heudelotii.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally found a guy on FB Marketplace that says he has both plants of good size for $15 + $3.50 for shipping. We'll see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck. Bolbitis can be a top notch aquarium plant. Some might say it's THE nicest aquatic plant grown. It can be touchy,I haven't yet mastered perfect growth on no Co2..but its growing.
Thanks. I'm thinking I may have to put CO2 in anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts