The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just found out peacock moss does not attach itself to rocks, nor will it give me the look I want, so I've got a golfball+ size of it from gw11ucb that I would like to trade for a golfball of Christmas moss, which apparently does attach and creep. Or you could sell me it, but I'd much rather do the trade, as I'd have to end up selling it anyways. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks

- Jim

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Xmas a Vesicularia will NOT attach,
and must always be kept tied down.
what you want is Taiwan moss
which grows like Xmas but is a
far more adhesive Taxiphyllum.

since Peacock moss is already
a Taxiphyllum like Taiwan, then
they will both stick with the same
adhesion factor. You need to be
patient as moss may tank a good
Month or two to get acclimated to
a new tank, then stick on it's own
so give your Peacock more time
instead of trading it away.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
as I do not have any first hand experience with Peacock,
I will defer to the experience posted on that other thread.
what I DO have is both Taiwan & Xmas moss, and Taiwan
adheres far more easily to surfaces than Xmas ever does.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My java moss takes 3-4 months to attach itself to a surface. So be patient. I tie it to a rock/surface with fishing line, then just wait.

Sometimes it attaches itself to the glass of the aquarium if I forget to move it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have grown all three mosses: xmas, peacock and taiwan. In my expeirence all three will attach to wood, rock, etc. If it is trimmed on a regular basis. If the top growth is too thick then the bottom will die and not attach as easily. This seems to hold true more so with xmas and peacock because growth is much more thick and tends to shade more rapidly.

One more note: I find that when tying down moss I make sure to wrap the thread excessively to insure that solid contact between moss and rock, etc. is made. This give the moss a better chance of attaching to the hardscape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.