The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a spot on my shelf for a non aqautic creature. Im just not sure what to get! I was thinking along the lines of these:

Hermit Crab
Fire-Bellied Toad
European Green Toad
Green Tree Frog

Is there any one that has experience with setting up a 10g home for them? I would use the 10g as another fish home but my shelf will not hold the weight!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I'd go with Hermit Crab, easy care and feeding.
it's a very popular dry tank pet you can handle,
that won't get away from you as easily as a frog,
and pet stores have lots of stuff to support them.
it's fun as they grow to give them new shells to live in.
out in Long Island I used to play with Hermit Crabs
all summer long as a kid when we owned a bungalow.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I would get more than one because you have a 10g,
but google around the web, and bone up on them, as
there is ton's of hermit crab hobby advice all around.
search ebaY on hermit crab and you'll be amazed by
all the junk people are selling for them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, as I don't really care for hermit crabs, 1 or 2 fire bellied toads/newts would do great in a 10g if you created a paludarium with rougly half land and half water. It provides for quite a range of plants- so you can both terrascape and aquascape- while it's small enough that it won't cost you a fortune. Fire bellies are great because they're relatively cheap (we're talking six to ten dollars, depending on where you purchase them) easy to feed (for my newts, i just feed fruit flies and frozen bloodworms) and they're active and bold.

In addition, tomato frogs, pixie frogs, and chubby frogs all would do well if you put just one in a ten gallon. Then need considerably less water (if you want to make it simple, a 1-2" deep water bowl would work fine) and they need a substrate to burrow into. Their one drawback is their inactivity- when they're older, if there's no food, they don't move. This permits them to be kept happily in a smaller tank like a 10g, but at the same time, they're not as entertaining.

I would stay away from all species of tree frogs- they're very active, and need at least 20g in order to have enough room to exercise. If you're interested in more exotic species of amphibians, poison dart frogs are great if you're willing to put more effort into your setup. In order to facilitate them, you may have to convert the ten gallon tank into a vert, but that depends upon the species. These aren't beginner frogs, as they're neither cheap nor forgiving if you make an error, but if you can meet their specific environmental needs, they're fascinating animals and very rewarding. A great site is Dendroboard - Your source for dart frog information. for ideas and information.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
james- A green tree frog is kinda big for a ten.
IMO, hermit crabs are boring. I would go for a few FB toads, but if you add FB newts, WATCH OUT! These two species love to eat each other!
My FBNewt has taken a snap at my Fbtoad, but he realized it was his buddy(newts think like...Dumpde dumpde dumpty deump.....)
I have 2 different species in the same tank, but i have been messin with herps since i was like 6.
Be very careful. And to keep them happy, either do about 2-3 inches of water and a floating island, or silicon the heck out of some acrylic until you can get something like 1/2 land/water.
Heres mine(10g,live plants, 1 fb taod, 1 fb newt, Whisper internal filter, Cheap screen top, cheap home depot light,Success!)

One more thing, you will need to feed both of these crickets and mealworms.
If you want something that eats bagged or canned food, go w/hermits.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
hermit crabs are awesome here some forums that im on.. hermit crab association... hermit crab rus reptic zone in the hermit crab section

1 - 7 of 7 Posts