The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like it says above.

in the interest of getting as much STUFF out of the tank as possible, i intend to DIY a mini-canister filter using a powerhead i already have, a plastic jar, some tubing and scilicone, and some filter floss.

my idea is to take one of these aproximately 1/2 gallon peanut jars my parents get nuts in from costco. they are plastic, with a nice wide screw-on lid. i would put the powerhead in the bottom of the jar with a tube attached to the "intake" end. the other end of the tube would obviously be in the tank with a small pre-filter. the "outflow" end of the powerhead would just be allowed to shoot directly into the peanut jar, which would be filled with filter floss. another tube would be attached to the top of the jar where the water would be pushed out and back into the tank. since this is a 175gph powerhead with no flow adjustment, i'm doing it this way to cut down on some of the flow.

what i was wondering is if i could put the heater and thermometer in the filter, rather than in the tank. this would be rather low-tech, no fancy digital thermometers. the heater is a little 7.2 watt pre-set heater intended for 2.5-5.5g tanks. i keep my house pretty warm, so it shouldn't have to work too hard. i just don't want to have a thermometer or heater sitting in the tank. the intake and outflow of the filter will be clear tubing to minimize visibility. The filter will probably just be tucked behind the tank, since there will be a background on it.

sound feasable?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Where are the powercords for the powerhead and thermometer going to go? You're going to have to make a hole in the lid large enough for the ends of the plug...which is huge. And then seal it so that it's water-tight around the power cord itself.

Unless you get a VERY good seal, it's going to leak.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've sealed the lid on a pop bottle to have a tube come out for CO2. its not that hard. just gotta have enough scilicone ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts