The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do an angel. It is a fish I have always admired (much like discus) but never attempted before in freshwater.

I loved the look of a Angel themed tank with all Amazon plants, driftwood, etc with some kind of complimentary Amazon fish (hatchets, tetras, cories, etc).

Would like to only keep one.

Budget is a concern I have about $400 max right now lol sorry

If not possible on that budget I understand.

I have read you can keep an angel in 29 gallon. Was thinking if Petco or petsmart has one of these amazing sales on a 36 bowfront/stand for $100 that would be a good foundation.

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome here.

I think I would use excel as co2 might get too expensive what with the need for regulator/solenoid valve/ph monitor/et all. Maybe that is ignorance and if so educated me lol.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Why not a 40g breeder at the Petco $1 per gallon sale?? I love my Angels and I've decided to keep the next batch of eggs and raise them. They are veil fin Pinoys. $400 budget is plenty as long as you are shopping for deals

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Dollar per gallon at petco. My girfriend and I got 2 40 breeders and a 20 long today. They had eco complete and flora max on sale as well.. barely got the second 40 in the car, lucky for me my girlfriend supports me enough to ride in the back seat. The 40 breeder was less than an inch too tall for the trunk of my delta 88 royale...

A regular 20 could hold an angel and a small shoal, but they get mean at spawn time.. so I support your decision to house a single one, I've lost a number of fish to mine.. noteably, 4 adult boesemani rainbow fish in 2 hours..

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've used C02 and it is incredible for plant growth, but it also leads to ALOT of trimming. I prefer to buy the big jugs of Metricide which helps with a little C02, helps kill algae, and it isn't as finicky as regulator setups and leaking bottles

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I just checked petsmart website and the aqueon 36 bowfront setup is on sale again. It is 30" long tank by 21" tall tank though so what lighting would be best for growing plants in that tank?
Depends.. give some window light and you will only need lights for viewing. Otherwise, a pair of t8 or t12 lights should put you right into medium lighting

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I recommend getting the biggest tank you can get. Angels can certainly get big when they're fully grown. A 36 bow is probably better than a 40 breeder though, considering that it's taller.

Dosing Excel on a large tank can be done, but it gets tedious and costly after a while. The best results are obtained when you dose daily an hour or so before the lights come on, which can be hard to fit into one's schedule. In addition, the quantities necessary for a larger tank make it so that you have to buy a new bottle every month or several months (depending on what size bottle you buy) Out of the CO2 components you listed only the regulator and solenoid are necessary (not even the solenoid if you don't mind having the CO2 running 24/7). Aside from those all you'd need is a diffuser and a CO2 tank. Tanks without CO2 can certainly be lush, but it takes much longer for the plants to grow densely.

For a low tech setup, I'd recommend using soil capped with sand as your substrate, and planting densely with plants such as swordplants and vals, along with some floating plants such as Amazon frogbit. These plants all grow well in low tech tanks.

As for lighting, you can either go with a T12 or T8 fixture, or get a T5 fixture and raise it above the tank by at least several inches. Getting the T5 fixture gives you the option of converting the tank to high tech if you choose to do so in the future. You'd just have to lower the lights and then get all the CO2 equipment and ferts.

For stocking, I'd keep it simple. Maybe one species of cory and one or two schooling fish such as tetras and hatchets. If you choose to go with tetras, you'll want to make sure that they're a larger species, or if they're a smaller species like neons, introduce them to the tank first and let them grow to a good size before introducing the angelfish. Hatchetfish should be safe from predation as long as they're not too small.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
You have gotten some good advice already. Especially from axelrodi202. I am thinking a 40b is a little short for an angel. If you can get a 46 bow that would be awesome for a single angel. Anything smaller than that is kind of small for a full grown healthy angel IMO.

If you plan on having lots of plants and decent light, then I don't think there is any need for excel. You can check out my journal in my sig for what I am doing without co2 or excel. Excel can get pricey.

You either have to wait a little longer to save some money OR find a good tank+stand on craigslist for cheap. There are some steals out there for people getting rid of tanks! Then just throw some t8's on top (with good reflectors) and a filter. I love the idea of an amazon stocked tank!

Good luck

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyones suggestions!

Looks like petsmart has a Aqueon 36 gallon bowfront tank kit for $136. Unfortunately the filter is terrible, so is the heater, but I love the tank. Of course petsmart does not seem to carry the stand so who knows how much that is.

Any other good deals out there on tank/stand combos?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.