The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I want to accomplish. I would like to cut a standard 55 gallon tank to half of it's original HEIGHT. I want to create a low profile shellie tank. What would be the best approach to cut it down? I would really like to avoid a complete de-construction. Do you think it would be possible to remove the rim and silicone half way down and just use a glass cutter from there?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks all,

~Todd

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Wow that's a lofty goal. I don't think I would personally go down that road, but sure it can be done. I just think if you don't already have the skills and necessary equipment, it might be a panic attack waiting to happen...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmm, that's a tough one. I'm a pathological DIYer and that sounds exactly like something I'd try, and kind of did. I took a standard 10 gallon, disassembled it, cut the long sides down and reassembled it into a 6 gallon rimless cube. It went more or less as planned except I cracked one side and had to get a replacement.

Cutting glass is my personal Achilles heel. I've rebuilt my entire house including every possible trade, but I still suck at cutting glass. I'm not sure if it's possible to do it without completely disassembling it, and once you do, putting it back together isn't that hard.

Here's what I would do- if you don't already have the 55g try to find one for free or next to nothing on a local site like craigslist. Expect that you will crack at least one pane and have to buy a new one. Actually, first I would call a local glass place and find out how much it would be to just buy all the glass in the right size. You might be surprised to find it's less than $100 in which case it's probably worth it to start from scratch. Disassembling a tank and removing the silicon is tedious work.

I like the idea, it would make a really cool long shallow tank. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
That's gonna be really tough to do and with all the equipment, power tools and time required it would be a better idea to get one done professionally or even buy sheets of glass cut to size and make it yourself, don't you think?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Buy a 33 long
That's what I'm turning my 86g into. I already cut it all apart, and once I cut the glass down to size I'll use the rims as jigs to seal it back up. Couldn't imagine trying to do it without removing all the panes first.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I should stop thinking about this. But, why couldn't you use a ordinary glass cutter to score all 4 pieces, then tap, tap, tap along the score marks until all of the glass pieces crack through? Then simply use a utility knife to cut through the silicone at the corners to release the top half. You could then get another piece of glass cut to size and use it for a bottom for a new tank, using the already siliconed together top half of the tank. I suppose a prudent person would first try this on a Freecycle 20 or 29 gallon tank, just to verify that it works.

Don't forget to use a silicon carbide stone to smooth the sharp edges left after the cutting. And, above all else, take plenty of photos and post them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should stop thinking about this. But, why couldn't you use a ordinary glass cutter to score all 4 pieces, then tap, tap, tap along the score marks until all of the glass pieces crack through? Then simply use a utility knife to cut through the silicone at the corners to release the top half. You could then get another piece of glass cut to size and use it for a bottom for a new tank, using the already siliconed together top half of the tank. I suppose a prudent person would first try this on a Freecycle 20 or 29 gallon tank, just to verify that it works.

Don't forget to use a silicon carbide stone to smooth the sharp edges left after the cutting. And, above all else, take plenty of photos and post them.
I was hoping to get your input on this one Hoppy. This is what I was thinking of trying. I have the cutter and stone. I also have a 20 high I might try this on this weekend. I am trying not to spend any money to get this done. I do have a birthday coming up and the wife keep asking what I want. Where can I find this 33 long you guys speak of. I have never seen one.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found one on glasscages.com for $67. Anyone ever purchase from these guys? Am I going to get robbed on shipping?

Thanks guys,

~Todd

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Glasscages has a unique method for "shipping" their bigger tanks, which a 33 gallon might be. They send out a truck load of tanks to various cities around the country every few months, and you go to that city to pick up your order. If you don't mind waiting for the next scheduled delivery trip, and live close enough to one of those cities, that gets you the tank for next to nothing in shipping cost. But, we on the west coast have to go to Los Angeles to pick up tanks. I'm not sure where in Colorado they do this.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I've not cut much glass but when I did I'd snap the glass after scoring by sort of folding it over a straight edge under the score. Don't see how you could do that with an assembled tank.

SteveU

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
If you have a non chain LFS near you, you may be able to custom order a 33 gallon long (iirc it's an aqueon all glass tank).

I've heard mixed reviews of glasscages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts