The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I've had these guys before, and they need a good amount of O2 to survive. I had a few die on me. :(

I searched hillstream loaches when I was doing research for mine, and came across this species: Beaufortia kweichowensis.

They're also mis-labelled as butterfly plecos at many LFS.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ya, they prefer cooler water than most tropicals, and quite strong water flow/circulation to keep the O2 level high. They really aren't suitable for a community tank...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have one. They like it cool, a lot of O2 and they love strong current. I got mine from Franks. They are fine for community tanks just cool ones with high current.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool = XX degrees F ???

I am currently around 79-80F. Current is from 304 and 404 fluvals, but about 1/4 of the way down from the top, one on each corner, pointing towards center.

These are sweet looking fish! I sure wish ThatPetPlace/ThatFishPlace had them as I am going to Philly next week and am stopping on the way back home. But they don't. I will be getting some Kerri Tetras though. They will go well with my cardinals.

Thanks,

Ted

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Article said:
Also to be considered are the strong currents and water conditions the fishes are accustomed to. The waters are typically soft, and slightly acidic. Temperatures range from 65-75 degrees F. One thing I have wanted to experiment with is the hydrogen peroxide reactor, or "oxydator", which can purportedly increase oxygen to near-saturation levels without increasing the pH of the water. Armed with this device and carbon dioxide injection or peat filtration, one could create conditions very similar to a true hillstream.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.