The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I think that's most likely the case. Before, I was never careful about sanitizing my plants when I received them from other people or through websites cause I was too eager to plant right away. Kind of makes me glad I got good planting tongs instead of digging my fingers into the substrate. Now I pot perm dip all new plants. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeah, I think that's most likely the case. Before, I was never careful about sanitizing my plants when I received them from other people or through websites cause I was too eager to plant right away. Kind of makes me glad I got good planting tongs instead of digging my fingers into the substrate. Now I pot perm dip all new plants. :thumbsup:
I don't typically dip plants either - it's how I got Scuds. Maybe I could learn from my mistakes :rolleyes:

Whiskey

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well this is a definite reason for me to start bleaching my plants instead of just tap water washing! do they leech onto your fish? I don't even know if we have leeches in England, I presume so haha, tongs it is!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this is a definite reason for me to start bleaching my plants instead of just tap water washing! do they leech onto your fish? I don't even know if we have leeches in England, I presume so haha, tongs it is!
Nope, they don't leech on to your fish. That's a good thing. Not sure if they attack shrimp since most online resources say they eat detritus. They left these eggs you see here, under my staurogyne repens and AR mini. I was wondering what those were for so long.

·
Registered
233 Posts
and I assume the potassium permanganate is shrimp safe?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
nope it isnt. the plants need to be rinsed fairly well before dunking into the shrimp tank.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ugh. I have been watching too much of that Animal Planet show, Monsters Inside Me. It's all about parasites, worms etc. Thankfully they haven't featured anyone somehow infected by their aquarium with something crazy (parasitic anyways). I'm pretty sure it isn't possible, but even the planaria gross me out now.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Too bad about the leeches, but if it were me I'd be glad to have the worms as a source of fish food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts