The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here I am with my new 60 cm tank, same size as ADA 60 P which I could not afford at the moment. Trying to find some CO2 before starting this tank for real, during that time I would like to have your opinion on my future aquascape.

For the moment
60p tank
Ada like stand
Amazonia new
Bomix 70
Self found wood or Malaysian
Light is a finned ray 2

Somme wood positioning even though it's not the one I am going to use

The main idea for the scape. I've been told that it looks too much like a regular aqua scale and it lacks something personal. What do you guys think? Any suggestion?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Well you are already a huge step ahead of most people that get all excited and just fill their tank with water without putting a lot of thought and time into getting their hardscape down first. Make sure you are happy with what you got before you put in water, because once you do that, your options become very limited.

Spend a lot of time playing with how you want the wood to look. Also, it has a tendency to move around once you put water in, so you may want to think about securing it. Look at the first page of my Fallen Tree Brach journal in my signature to see what I did. Don't be afraid to drill holes where you won't see them, and use zip ties. There are a lot of ways to do it.

When you start scaping, smooth out all of the bumps in your substrate. They'll smooth out over time anyway, and it'll look cleaner. Also, try to keep a really smooth substrate line across the front of the glass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, try to keep a really smooth substrate line across the front of the glass.
First of all thanks about for sharing your thoughts, it's really appreciated.

What do you think about this possibility : I would like to put hairgrass, Urticularia or HC instead of sand in the front and side of the tank.

I think it would be nice to see the shrimps walking around the whole tank instead of the small portion of the tank where plants are actualy drawn.

I'm starting to think that 60cm tanks are not big enough to do a sand path.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your answer Xenaph,

The tank is in good shape, the only thing about it is the black silicone. Otherwise it's pretty much like an ADA tank.

The stand is handmade and looks perfectly like an ADA stand, except it has a computer fan in the back to control humidity. The job was really well done therefore I might only change the color once in my new house next year.

Have anyone ever tied UG to wood before ? Xenaph convinced me to get some :red_mouth

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow.. nice job on the hardscape! Not seen Malaysian Driftwood and petrified wood used quite that way!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GODDDD it's been a while!
Here is the tank at it's best two months ago :

The same size as the ADA 60P, no co2 but a lot of excel

I moved from my appartement to a house last month and I had to rebuild the whole tank!
I'll post the pictures as soon as possible of the building process.
I also got a GLA co2 kit with internal atomizer.
Now the tank looks like that!

I lost a lot of plant during the time I was moving and working in the house. The majority of the plants are in submerse tanks in order to grow faster.

I would like to have some help with my plants... My rotala indica sp. bonsai is dying one after the other (melting) and my hygrophyla pinnatifida is not looking as good as I would like it to. Both of them have been in the tank for 2 weeks. Co2 is in there at the same time at 2 bubbles per sec.
Even my UG is not rooting and floating in the tank..
Changed my filter from fluval 205 to eheim 2217 with a spray bar and added an heater that keeps water at 25 degree celcius.
:help:
HELP!!
:help:

Any comments are appreciated!

Bump: Here is a rotala dying...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
this tank is very beautiful! your use of petrified wood (that is what it is right?) was really smart, the hardscape is great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this tank is very beautiful! your use of petrified wood (that is what it is right?) was really smart, the hardscape is great!
Yep it is petrified wood! Worked on the hardscape for many hours and went to 4 petshop to get the rocks I wanted.

Now I need to understand the co2 injection and wait for my plants to grow :)

I'm thinking about some s. repense at the moment

·
Registered
556 Posts
That Rotala sp. Bonsai melting, I've had that same issue. When I throw it back into an emersed setup, it grows fine. When it's inside my aquarium, I find that the bottom portion would melt but the top portion would continue growing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts