The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i set up aquarium about 10 days ago, with miracle gro organic potting mix 1.5", and 1" of gravel, it has small powerhead filter, it is 20W power glo light and is a half filled 30G aquarium, oh and mostly low light/co2 plants e.g. java fern and a but of dwarf hair grass, sorry that was just all info.

i was wondering how long till i could add my newts i was told about 4 weeks but i would really like to know if there are any method to speed, i have had fish and shrimp in their for about 5 days and they are loving it, how long should i wait for newts do you recon

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Use your test kits to monitor the nitrogen cycle.
A fresh set up like that probably does not have enough ammonia removing organisms.
The best way is to remove the fish and shrimp and do a fishless cycle. While the nitrogen removing organisms are growing many other microorganisms are also growing. When the tank has a good mixed population of many species of microorganisms it is ready for the more difficult critters.

It takes time and that is all there is too it.
You can seed the tank with microorganisms from established tanks, and this will help, but once they are in your new tank they still need some time to find a place to live and to get going with their job. Probably some population adjustments will happen, too. Some will die off, others will multiply.

Patience!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You know, while you have the chance and are measuring Ammonia, write down the measurement and try to find some faster-growing plants and see if they take care of the Ammonia. If the Ammonia and nitrate are 0 you can put in a couple of fish and see how they do. I don't know about the newts, though. That's what I did, although I may have somewhat more light: 10 gallon 15 watts straight fluo from Aqueon with a canopy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was going to put in 2 20W bulbs, but i am growing low light plants and with too much light it would help algae, and i know its a 30 gallon aquarium but its only filled up half way cause thats how my newts will like it so its about 15 gallon with 20W

1 - 5 of 5 Posts