The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the real differences between the three? obviously wallichii is redder, vietnam is whiter, and nanjenshan is green, but are any of them especially harder or easier to grow? I have some vietnam now that look decent, but nothing like what it probably should look like. if i got wallichii, would it thrive any more than my vietnam is now?

btw its in my 10g tank under 36W PC's with pressurized CO2 and light NPSK/CSM+B/Fe dosing.

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
I think they all look different...
wallichii...dark green/rusty very fine hairlike leaves, bright pink top...

R. Vietnam...looks nothing like wallichii...its bright green and looks more like
P. erectum...
P. erectum...

R. vietnam...leaf structure similar to erectum, but finer leaves.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...details.php?id=132&category=genus&spec=Rotala
R. nanjenshan...remindes me more of Didiplis diandra than wallichii or vietnam.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i realize that they are all different plants, but structurally they are very similar. what i meant to ask was if there is a major difference between the conditions needed to grow both of them. R. Vietnam is usually bright to pale green, but sometimes it looks red. Red Vietnam would look just like wallichii, right? i have vietnam, but it looks terrible, so i was wondering if i could get wallichii instead, and have it grow well with ONLY high-light and CO2, because i don't have the equipment to test major nutrients, so its really difficult for me to EI dose.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Although I find the lack of a good search by name option annoying, APC's plantfinder has really good info on these species. I have both wallichii and vietnam in my 10g tank, and from my experience, they can both be quite red with the right light and co2. Then again, I do EI dose, which you said you don't want to do. I'm a bit confused as to why you can't EI dose without testing, to some degree, thats kind of the point of using the EI method... overdose, and reset every week with a 50% water change...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know, i try to, but it makes my tank explode with GSA and the water gets all cloudy every time i dose. Lately i've just been dosing in smaller amounts, but now my Vietnam and Ludwigia Guinea look terrible.

and i can't afford the test kits, and my parents refuse to pay for one, they say its unnecessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts