The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a large gorgeous crypt (I believe wendtii). It melted a long time ago. It's still there, but the leaves are small and flat on the substrate surface.

It has reproduced. Where I once had one big one, I now seem to have 4 or 5 little ones.

How do I wake these guys up to get them to grow again? Is it just a matter of time?

·
Banned
934 Posts
What kind of substrate are you using? How much light are you running?

I noticed the more light you run the closer to the substrate my crypts grow. However you may also have a stunted plant because it is not getting the nutrients it needs from your substrate. Where in Florida are you? Always great to find fellow hobbyist close by.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My Wendtiis started out that way - brown and close the substrate. But they never melted. I raised the light a little, and added ferts.

I didn't start getting offshoots until I started CO2 injection.

In my 10g guppy tank I've got one of the runners growing, and it's doing quite well; green and upright. There's a spiral CFL above that one. I let the fish do the fertilizing and I add Fleet for P every other day.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Crypts

Hello Jim...

The best thing I did for my crypts and plants in general was either trim them way back or dig them up completely and replant them in plastic pots with organic potting soil topped with pea gravel substrate. I then started dosing a good hydroponics liquid fert once or twice a week.

My low light plants really improved.

B

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Back in January 2010 my C. wendtii looked horrible, small stunted leaves. Once the CO2, ferts, light and heat were back on the tank they developed beautiful bullated leaves that grew flat to the substrate looking like an entirely different species. After a while normal leaves started growing. Thinking you need to wait longer and keep up the good stuff.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hello Jim...

The best thing I did for my crypts and plants in general was either trim them way back or dig them up completely and replant them in plastic pots with organic potting soil topped with pea gravel substrate. I then started dosing a good hydroponics liquid fert once or twice a week.

My low light plants really improved.

B
Most of us prefer to plant in the substrate for a more natural aqua scape. Gotta be careful with hydroponic ferts and fauna.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tank is 75g. Lighting is an AHS 4x55W Bright kit. Substrate is regular Flourite. Pressurized CO2 reducing pH from 8.1 to 7.2 or so. Currently dosing KNO3 and Plantex CSM+B on an EI regime. Not dosing phosphates because tests regularly show at least 2-5 ppm (probably from fish food), even with weekly 50% water changes. Most other plants are doing very well.

I just added a Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 to increase circulation. The crypts were in the still water part of the tank.

It has been a very hot summer here in FL and aquarium temps have been running over optimal ranges, sometimes up to 85 degrees.

I'll give them a fertilizer tab and be patient. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine responded really well to laterite & fertiliser tabs went crazy, perked up and increased in size, in a week were different plants. They like iron and they are root feeders so I think thats why I had such a good response.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.