The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to set up a 10 gallon low tech planted tank. I want to get snails, shrimp, ottos, corys, and maybe a few other fish. I am going to cycle it for at least 2 weeks.

Is it safe after the two weeks to put the snails ottos and shrimp in at once or will there not be enough algea for them to eat. Also should I put all the plants in first for a couple weeks then the critters, or the critters then the plants?

Also, how many shrimp and snails for a 10 gallon? Should I start with a couple and then slowly up the amount or all at once?

This is my first try at this so any additional info will help!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Cycle until there is no ammonia or nitrites, it may take 2 weeks, it may take 6 weeks but doing it too soon and you can quickly kill anything you add to it. Waiting is the hardest part but you'll wipe out your stock if you don't wait it out.

If you have another tank, you can add some cycled material from that filter to help it along. Also, fishless cycling is a bit hard to master but can be done. Do you have another tank, or know someone with a tank that you could get some filter material from as this speeds it up a lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have another tank, but they and going to be two different kinds of filter and I don't think I will be able to use the media. It is a 65 gallon, could I just fill the 10 wight that water?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I have another tank, but they and going to be two different kinds of filter and I don't think I will be able to use the media. It is a 65 gallon, could I just fill the 10 wight that water?
Even if you take a sponge from the old filter and squeeze it into the new tank, that's the stuff you want. It will cloud the water but its full of beneficial bacteria and that bacteria will land on your new filter, gravel, decorations, etc and that will provide your instant cycle. The good bacteria we want lives on everything in the tank, not in the water, so transferring water doesn't really do anything.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Adding onto above, if you do have a pre-established tank by moving several items into your new tank you can immediately add in shrimps and snails as they have barely any bioload. However if you do not have another tank wait for a full cycle. Then I would add in plants and either inverts or otos. I would no recommend both as here will not be enough algae initially.

In a cycled tank you can add as many shrimps and snails as you want. Remember the food you feed them with contributes more bioload than the inverts themselves. However a general rule is 10 shrimp per gallon but many people house more with regular water changes.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
it cant hurt using the water in the 65G, but it wont help. there is very little bacteria in the water itself. maybe use some gravel or driftwood. i cycled a 10 gallon tank in 2 days using a sponge from an existing filter... I squeezed the dirt in the tank and then I left the sponge in the tank for a day. instant cycle. You can add plants in the tank right away!
I would add the cory's after a day or 2. since your a GIANTS fan, I can send you a few red cherry shrimp free of charge!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts