The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how much of the ferts I should dose on my 5.5 gallon tank with 24w pc and diy co2. Does the schedule I have look right? If so what amounts should I dose?

Sunday - 50% water change then dose GH Booster and Excel
Monday - KNO3, KH2PO4, Excel
Tuesday - Flourish, Excel
Wednesday - KNO3, KH2PO4, Excel
Thursday - Flourish, Excel
Friday - KNO3, KH2PO4, Excel
Saturday - Flourish, Excel

....I am beyond confused with all the ppm and what amount to dose etc..etc..etc..

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Go here and dose 1/4 of what they recommend for a 20g tank. It doesn't have to be exact. Dosing to much won't hurt anything.

If you are doing DIY co2 then you might not need the excel. Esp, in a tank that size.

Also, check out the dry micros from the same link above. That goes for macros also.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I forgot to mention.... Don't think about the ppm. All of the math has been done for you if you are dosing EI.

After a few weeks, if you feel you need more of this or that, add more of this or that. If you feel you need less, add less. That simple.

I know you don't feel like it is that simple but trust me, it is. Give it a try.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks. I guess the only thing I am still confused about is if it says for example 1/32 tsp or 1/16 tsp is that meaning they are dosing dry ferts directly into the tank? I was going to dose using a syringe and mix all the ferts with water.....is that ok? Last if it's not fine and considering I have a 5.5 gallon and you said I need to divide the 20 gallon formula and dose a 1/4 of it then what is 1/4th of a 1/16th of a tsp :icon_conf? Sorry to be such a noob

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Yes, that would be dosing dry. For a tank that size, that may be difficult to do. If you are buying dry fertilizers, the easiest thing to do is to create your own liquid solutions.

Here is a link to some dosing containers.

You can determine what dry volume you want to add in each dosing, and apply that to a preset volume of liquid you want to dose and make a master solution.

For example, you want to dose 1/32 tsp of a dry fert on each dosing. You have a 500 ml bottle. So, lets just say that we want to make a convenient volume to dose, say 25 ml. 500 divided by the 25 is a total of 20 potential doses you can make. So, 20 doses of 1/32 tsp is 5/8 of a tsp to be added to the 500 ml solution.

How was that?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha a lot of math but I think I got it. Let me make sure I got it. this example is from rex's site. So for the example below I would mix up the solution and dose 5ml for a 5.5 gallon tank to get around 10ppm of nitrate?

KNO3

• Mix 1 tablespoon (16.8 grams) with 250 ml of water.
  • 1 ml of this solution will give you 1.08 ppm of nitrates and 0.54 ppm of potassium in 10 gallons of water.
  • ¼ teaspoon (1.4 grams) will add 22.5 ppm of nitrates and 14.26 ppm of potassium to 10 gallons of water.
  • Suggested nitrate levels are 10-20 ppm. Suggested potassium levels are 20 ppm.
  • NOTE: These values are correct (there will be rounding errors). If your test kit doesn't reflect these numbers then suspect the test kit.
  • There is NO such thing as weak KNO3. Click here to see how to make reference solutions to test your test kit.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Haha a lot of math but I think I got it. Let me make sure I got it. this example is from rex's site. So for the example below I would mix up the solution and dose 5ml for a 5.5 gallon tank to get around 10ppm of nitrate?

KNO3

• Mix 1 tablespoon (16.8 grams) with 250 ml of water.
  • 1 ml of this solution will give you 1.08 ppm of nitrates and 0.54 ppm of potassium in 10 gallons of water.
  • ¼ teaspoon (1.4 grams) will add 22.5 ppm of nitrates and 14.26 ppm of potassium to 10 gallons of water.
  • Suggested nitrate levels are 10-20 ppm. Suggested potassium levels are 20 ppm.
  • NOTE: These values are correct (there will be rounding errors). If your test kit doesn't reflect these numbers then suspect the test kit.
  • There is NO such thing as weak KNO3. Click here to see how to make reference solutions to test your test kit.

You like making things difficult for yourself, don't you? :hihi:

If you are going to dose using the EI method, Just do what Gatekeeper is recommending.

Add 20 doses to the 500ml bottle, add water, shake and dose 25ml 3 times a week. :proud:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Don't over complicate the math! Dempsey is spot on, keep it simple.

Once you start doing this, you will see how simple it is. If you are nervous, check your numbers or make smaller solutions with less dosings to get you comfortable.

Write down what you did! Keep notes! That helps!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Don't over complicate the math! Dempsey is spot on, keep it simple.

Once you start doing this, you will see how simple it is. If you are nervous, check your numbers or make smaller solutions with less dosings to get you comfortable.

Write down what you did! Keep notes! That helps!
+1,000,000 on this and I am a math nut. Always write down what your mixture is.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help! I ordered my ferts today. One last thing. I can also mix the KH2PO4 with the 500ml KNO3 solution as long as i add the correct amount so when i dose the 25ml it will contain the correct amount of KH2PO4 and KNO3. Is this correct?

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Dude, you are eating your own brain out....Go dry(EI)why hassle with water? No need to measure salt in ml...you will save little $ in those bottles and time for measurement of salt, mixing time etc. Keep life simple.
And I see no 1 linked EI dosing here is 1 helpful.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html

Tho' this was done then but while dosing TE you can use same amount of MG(Epsom salt), if you please to keep GDA away...

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Thanks for all the help! I ordered my ferts today. One last thing. I can also mix the KH2PO4 with the 500ml KNO3 solution as long as i add the correct amount so when i dose the 25ml it will contain the correct amount of KH2PO4 and KNO3. Is this correct?
You most certainly can. The world is your oyster. Keep in mind, making multiple solutions (one for each chemical) can sometimes give you some flexibility. But long term, one solution keeps it simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.