The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now 1.5 weeks into Fishless cycle. I have ammonia at close to 4.0ppm, Nitrites still at 0 :(

To satisfy my impatience, if I were to use one of them commerical bacteria cycling products out there, would they really work and speed things up? Or I can just do it the natural way and let it progress ever so slowly.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
To speed up the cycle, raise the temps to 80+ and add beneficial bacteria.

Nitrosomonas bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites,
Nitrospira bacteria converts nitrites to nitrates, then the rest go to the plants

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention that it's a CO2 aided planted tank, so the cycle will probably take longer. PH is at 6.5 right now and don't have the temperature that high because of the plants - have it set to 76 right now.

I could speed up the process using aided elements, but I think I'll just leave it as is.

Should take about 2 weeks+ before I see the good "ammonia" reducing bacteria present no?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
they are already present. ur just waiting for the them to grow into a strong colony. at 6.5 that's gonna take forever.. the become pretty useless below 6.4 so they are at the lower limit of ph for effectiveness.

reduce ur ammonia a little bit. to say around 1 ppm or less. this will help them colonize faster and you'll have less chance of burning ur plants

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you want to add more bacteria look for Nitrospira on the label.

It may be that the plants brought in a lot of bacteria on their leaves, too, and between the bacteria and the plants themselves the system is already cycled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It took me about 4 weeks with store bought ammonia to cycle 40 gal. tank. First week and a 1/2 I waited for ammonia to drop another 2 1/2 for nitrites to disappear. If Ill have to do that again I would buy a bottled bacteria from the store and cut that time to 5-7 days. Otherwise proceed as everyone mentioned above, keep t at 80, pH above 7 and be VERY patient :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts