The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just ordered some ferts a few days ago, and I realize that the processing and shipping will take a few days, that's fine. My question in the meantime is this: I've been noticing a few signs of deficiencies over the last week and I'm wondering what I should do until I can begin fertilizing? The tank is a moderately planted 38 gal with 2wpg(HO t5). I have purchased Flourish Excel and plan to use it but have not started yet. Lights set at 10 hrs right now. The problems which I've noticed are holes in the leaves(sword plants) and old leaves quickly dying off.
Should I lower the light exposure until the ferts arrive? Go completely lights out? Start or wait on the Excel? Any other tips?

Thanks

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
What substrate are you using? For a quick bandaid, I'd say you can purchase root tabs from your lfs and stick them in your substrate, especially around your swords. They're heavy root feeders. You can dose excel if you plan to keep your lights on. 10hrs is a little excessive, you'll be combating an algae storm real soon if you keep it at that rate.

Will you be dosing dry ferts?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The substrate is flourite. There have been root tabs in the gravel for about 3 weeks now and I've noticed that the root growth in the plants that I've moved has been very healthy. The diatoms are pretty much gone, but there is some staghorn starting to pop up, one of the reasons I'm anxious to start Excel. From what I've read, the holes may be a potassium deficiency?
yes, dry ferts.
Here's my first plan, let me know any thoughts, loosed on Tom Barre's Excel EI
1/4 tsp KNO3
1/8 tsp KH2PO4
1/8 tsp CSM+B
1.5 rec dose Excel
All 2x per week

Speedie- I read your 39g journal last week, cover to cover, a really beautiful tank. I'd love any thoughts or advice you've got.( and of course with the 39 I'm already wishing that I had more depth)

Thanks

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts