Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 33 gal flatback hex with:
2 bolivian rams
2 gold gouramis
1 angelfish
4 cory cats
5 oto cats
6 neon tetras

and then my bf's littles sis decided to add guppies to my tank, and BAM I'm loaded with gups. I can't even count...

I don't know what to do with them all. I rather like some of the males... but what should I do with the rest?

Would it be wise to only keep male guppies and not females?
Also, once the gups are gone, or rather, most of them, what else would be a good addition to my tank?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Your tank is way overstocked. As it is I'd remove the angel and all the guppies. And perhaps add 4 or so Neons to your school, and call it a day.

Stop feeding the fish for a week and the adults should all develop a taste for guppy fry. I'm surprised the angel didn't take care of them already...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The angel is a baby, s/he is only about 2.5-3 in tall. So, its not quite big enough to eat up the fry. Although, since the addition of the angel, i haven't seen any new fry. I got the angel for population control, because nobody else would do it, lol.

I was thinking of maybe putting up a listing for the guppies on craigslist? or what else could I do?

Do LFS usually accept guppies? I thought that could be beneficial for me, trade guppies for black worms, tubiflex, or supplies or something...

·
Registered
567 Posts
If they guppies are nice looking, your LFS may trade you for them. They're getting to where they don't do that much anymore though. If nothing else, they would probably just take them for free. I'd say keep the males you like and get rid of all the females. That's pretty good population control. Also, your angel probably won't do too well alone. They like companionship. However, adding one more would make you pretty overstocked, so I wouldn't do that until you get rid of the guppies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news, I talked to the owner of the LFS, and she said she would take them, and how they look would determine how much store credit I get. She told me to bring them in tomorrow!

They are quite attractive, and I have never had disease in my tank, so they are healthy, my gups get big too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my favorites is the one pictured left middle, the male with the yellow and black spots everywhere, and he has 3 younger brothers I guess, because there are 3 smaller ones that look like him. His mommy is the one picture bottom left (she was one of the founding guppies), and I'm going to guess daddy is bottom right, he was the only "founding guppy" with the pattern on his body (he actually just past away, but has babies that look just like him).
The other very first gups in the tank were the blond female with the white and red tail, and the male to her left, and the female above her.
lol, the blue tuxedo I never put in there, he just appeared one day. It's a mystery! I guess someone liked him and brought him home for my tank. I hate when people do that, lol. But I think his children were the last batch, because the youngest fry right now are predominately black, their colors haven't come in yet. There have been other batches of fry since them, but those got gobbled up. These fry were lucky and were too big for the bigger dudes to snack on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts