The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just curious on what i should do,

i really want a nice planted setup with lots of lush plants, kind of like a Dutch style, but not full blown dutch.

what wood should i use?

Kinda a large piece for my 20 Long, but it looks ok i think, i was thinking of covering it in moss or something

or #2

a piece of Manzanita,

i could cut the manzanita to make it into a few pieces as well

im really not 100% sold on either.... but im not sure what else i can use...

**Also is this enough substrate? or should i add more? its ADA Aquasoil

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pic 2 wood with Dutch style in between the branches will look great. Don't cut the wood. Use as it is. Pic 1, wood will restrict your water flow. Bad for the tank. I vote for pic 2 wood. Soil use should be adequate enough. 3-5 inch.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
No 1 is too far to the side. It should not be centered, but about 2/5 of the way.

I also prefer the manzanita. Be nice with more of it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I had to choose one or the other I would turn the stone in pic 1 sideways and build a hill of substrate around it and a few pockets of substrate on it and plant some stuff up on the rock to make a nice hillside effect...also what type of stone is it? Really cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
I vote for pic two also. I would lay it down so some of the branches are laying on the substrate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
#2... If you attach moss to it, once it filled in, this would give any fish in the tank a great place to feel like they can hide and still be in plain site for you to view. Also, I would try to slope the substrate upwards in the back. May require half/full bag to do so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts