The Planted Tank Forum banner

Vorticella and berried female cherries?

672 4
Hi there,

I have a 10g skittles tank with around 30 cherry shrimp so far. Over the past fortnight I've noticed four berried females, but unfortunately tonight, I noticed a white fuzz on the faces of two of them (my favourites, Led Zeppelin and Clifford).

I believe it's vorticella, if somebody else can confirm?

Thankfully it isn't too bad yet, just a bit on the top and on their left side, but obviously I wanna treat this before it becomes fatal.

I did some research and a lot of people recommend aquarium salt dips, however I'm concerned. Are these salt dips safe for berried females, will they kill the eggs?

I'd hate for Led or Clifford to drop their eggs but I'd take it over them dying any day.

I'm setting them up in a quarantine tank tomorrow, once the salt arrives, but in the meantime I'm keeping an eye on them as well as the rest of the tank.

So far, only two have fuzz. They're both berried and they're the biggest of the tank, so I'm hoping they were just the easiest to latch onto.

Any advice? Is salt dangerous for them, do you recommend another treatment?
Arthropod Pollinator Insect Terrestrial plant Twig

Water Vertebrate Underwater Insect Reptile
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try it. Likewise, you could try Paraguard, No Planaria or Planaria Zero. With any luck, you only need to treat the shrimp, but sometimes you need to treat the entire tank.
I'm in Australia so unfortunately Paraguard isn't something I can get without waiting two+ months for oversees shipping.

Planaria treatments can be done, though, so I'm curious. Assuming I treat the entire tank, which I'll probably do at some point, will it harm my berried shrimp, baby shrimp, or otocinclus?

As for the initial salt dips, it was recommended to dip them for shorter periods of time, because of the eggs. If you were in my position, would you do the same?

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've salt dipped my berried shrimp with no ill effects. It's recommended to remove any molts for a while when you are treating them.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I haven't salt dipped any berried females that I can recall, but if necessary, yes, I would do this. They shouldn't need to be in the water for very long as is... just enough to get the vorticella off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.