The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a pool supply shop to get some silica sand (that they had when I called earlier in the week) only to find out that they don't carry it. But the lady did tell me she had Vitro which was supposedly a huge improvement over sand (for filters).

When I told her it for an aquarium she said it works great for aquariums too and she said it was even prettier than sand because it sparkles.

Well, I don't care about the sparkling because I don't want my tanks to look like something out of Twilight.

However, I said it sounded interesting so she gave me a little baggie full (enough for pico, haha) and a VitroClean brochure.

Has anyone ever used this stuff... the brochure does advertise aquarium use which I really liked... I bet it will be a great filter media though it doesn't have the look I want for a soil cap.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
VitroClean Website said:
lighter weight, and highly angular crushed
Have you tried it yet? I'm afraid that it might float and might be too sharp for some inhabitants. No, I have no experience with it; just basing it on what I've read.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You could use a powered rock tumbler to round off the sharp corners. Then you would basically have silica sand. I haven't seen any of this, let alone using it, so it may be OK as is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.