1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats some good LFS in california? ill be there for 10 days

FIRST TRIP ever :] im EXCITED.

Will be going to Ebi[mike] wedding :]

will be checking out a lot of the popular sights but I want to know about the awesome aquatic shops that aren't very KNOWN...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey there, hope you enjoy your stay in California. : )

I'm from the Anaheim area myself and the majority of the specialized lfs are quite far (~40 min+ drive). If you want to stay local, some decent places are:

Reef Tropical Fish
1080 N State College Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92806

They don't really specialize in planted tanks though, just an all around decent fish store.

Tong's Tropical Fish
8976 Warner Ave
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

One of the bigger shops in the area. They have a good supply of fish/accessories (pumps, parts - one of the few stores that carry Eheim parts, granted it's pretty expensive though) some plants too, but nothing too uncommon, just the usual mosses and stem plants.

405 Tropical Fish
15222 Goldenwest St
Westminster, CA 92683

Small shop with a decent supply of fish. No plants though. Random note: they cut me a deal for Amano shrimp because I bought x5 ($1.50 per, listed price was $2).

- The places above are ~15-20 mins from my area (Anaheim Hills 92807) -

If you're down for driving a bit, some other places that specialize in planted tanks are:

CK Fish World ~30 minute drive
410 N Azusa Ave
West Covina, CA 91791

Lots of stuff. Plants, shrimp, tanks (no ADA though, i think)

A+ Tropical Fish ~40 minute drive
5425 Rosemead Blvd
Temple City, CA 91776

Pretty cool shop, good selection.

Lotus Aquarium ~45 minute drive
14704 Hawthorne Blvd.
Lawndale, CA 90260

I don't recall ever going here, but I've heard good things.

Nature Aquarium ~1 hour
2836 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Lots of ADA supplies / Do!Aqua. Small shop near LA. They have a decent supply of schooling fish.

- Times are based off of where I'm from (Anaheim Hills 92807) -

·
Registered
466 Posts
Another must see LFS is in San Francisco.
AFA (Aqua Forest Aquarium )
1718 Filmore St.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Hours:
Tuesday, closed
Mon-Sat, 11am - 7pm
Sun, 12 - 6pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Aside from those. One of the more less talked about is 6th ave aquarium in San Francisco. They have a lot of live stock and cheap prices. But it's luck of the draw with there fish. They sell fish at a whole sale price.

Also Neptune aquatics in milpitis is a must see with plants and mostly dwarf cichlids and nano tank fish

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I love afa that's where I got my choco guarami :) he's so small and cute, if they ever ship the wrong order to you and you drive back there they give you credit for shipping. I got 3 bunches hygro pin. Choco guarami. Limno aromatica and a couple other plants that exceeded shipping cost. If you talk to the older guy there he's nice. Some of the others are kinda quiet

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aside from those. One of the more less talked about is 6th ave aquarium in San Francisco. They have a lot of live stock and cheap prices. But it's luck of the draw with there fish. They sell fish at a whole sale price.

Also Neptune aquatics in milpitis is a must see with plants and mostly dwarf cichlids and nano tank fish
Ur coming to Hawaii in August right? Lol I think u posted that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My suggestion is go visit the Academy of Science in San Francisco. It has a rainforest and lots of freshwater tank. It's not a fish store, but It's not like you can bring back livestock back to Hawaii anyways.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My suggestion is go visit the Academy of Science in San Francisco. It has a rainforest and lots of freshwater tank. It's not a fish store, but It's not like you can bring back livestock back to Hawaii anyways.

True. But I still wanna buy goodies out there.. A eheim filter here can cost as much as $120 for the 2211

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you're ever thinking about heading southbound from Anaheim. San Diego has some places like Goldfish World, Pet Kingdom and Aquatic Warehouse.

Or if you pass through the San Fernando Valley area you have some spots like Pet Supreme, Rainbow Aquarium and Pond, & Aquarium City.

I've been to all of them and I like em all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts