The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a visi-therm stealth 50 in my 10gal that I'm starting up. I had a 200 in a 50gal I had with no problems, and friends use stealth heaters with no problems. Mine had been running in a the 10gal for 24 hours. I have it set to 76, yet the tank water is 70 degrees. How long does it take to get 10 gallons of water up to temp?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My experience has always been less than 24 hrs. How cold is the room that its in? Is it Open Top or does it have a cover?

Try cranking it up a few more degrees. Often times the setting on the heater doesn't match the output, but I think stealths are reasonably accurate.

HTH

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's open top, and temp is about 60 in the room (basement). I don't mind cranking it up, but I don't want it to get too hot on warmer days.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cranked it up to 82, and the temp is still at 70. This is a bunch of BS if you ask me... Am I going to have to play some kind of guessing game now that I have my my tank top open? I tried a different thermometer and it shows 75.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking for some last ditch help.

I guess That this heater cannot handle a 20 degree difference between room and tank temp (my room is about 60 degrees right now and I'm trying to get to 78). In anyones experience, is it ok to get a larger wattage heater, or is that not the way it works?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Looking for some last ditch help.

I guess That this heater cannot handle a 20 degree difference between room and tank temp (my room is about 60 degrees right now and I'm trying to get to 78). In anyones experience, is it ok to get a larger wattage heater, or is that not the way it works?
The 50W is rated for an 18*F difference in an 10gal (not open top?) according to this chart:
MARINELAND.COM - AQUARIUM SYSTEMS

Marineland recommends the 100W

·
Registered
362 Posts
i have a 100w stealth heater on my 10g and my house is usualyl kept at about 65ish degrees F during the winter. Mine stealth has no issues keeping it at 78degrees, 80, 82(is the highest i have gone, with the temp dial set on 82).

10g tanks and other smaller tanks, like lighting, appear to require more watts per gallon than larger tanks. I'd imagine they are really easy to cool off compared to a much larger tank(although keeping anything warm in the winter will require a fair amoutn of wattage).

I was always worried about overbuying on the heater but after a few of these posts have come up recently, i don't feel so bad(disreguard if you live in a warm climate year round). haha.

even the cheap old hydor heater i got for free that is currently heating the 20g i am fishless cycling(100w as well) has no issues.

·
Registered
427 Posts
there is no way you need the 100 watt!

I have a 20 deg difference maybe more in my room and a 75 watt on my 20 gallon and it works fine. I have the same 75 watt on my 24 gallon and no problems! Although I admit the temp difference is greater at night than durring the day (but it gets pretty damn cold at night here right now with no heater) In fact our water pipes broke open just last weekend...

Some of the knobs seem more accurate than others I do admit! But once set it's not like you have to keep adjusting them. At worst you tank might not be able to hold the exact degree and drop a little, but you should not be seeing a 10 degree difference

I also have a 50 watt hydor theo on my 10 gallon and it does the job FINE! the 50 watt should be more than enough for a 10 gallon. Thats what I would recommend for your tank...If you need more than that it must be like it's 40 deg in your room, and you want the tank at 80, then you may need the 100 watt. I can't imagine you would need more than a 75 watt for a 10 gallon unless you live in in a egloo.

I used this chart (which of course estimates reasonable ambient temps...)
Aquarium Heaters: Visi-Therm Stealth Heater which matches the p[roducts I have purchased. The other chart seems reasonable as well but why does it jump from 50 to 100 watt??????????

I have the 25 watt on a smaller fry tank *about 6 gallons and it works absolutly perfect on that tank.

It sounds like yours has a bad sensor to me. It happens..... exchange it. It has lifetime warranty, they may not even ask you to send it back to them.

If that's still not hold, your best bet is to get a second 50 watt, this way if one malfunctions the other will shut off. If you have a 100 watt in there and it sticks you could easily cook all your fish :icon_conf I'd avoid that!

·
Registered
738 Posts
there is no way you need the 100 watt!

It sounds like yours has a bad sensor to me. It happens..... exchange it. It has lifetime warranty, they may not even ask you to send it back to them.

If that's still not hold, your best bet is to get a second 50 watt, this way if one malfunctions the other will shut off. If you have a 100 watt in there and it sticks you could easily cook all your fish :icon_conf I'd avoid that!
Isn't it only like $2 more for the 100W than the 50W - I know the price doesn't double with wattage. I'd rather have the extra wattage for a room that is that cold.

I agree though - could be the sensor. Reach in the tank and hold your fingers near/on the heater - is it hotter than the surrounding water??

Two heaters is not a good idea without a common controller - if the settings are slightly different, one heater will always come on first and the other will likely never come on anyway.

Cooking fish with only a 100W heater in a 10gal seems unlikely - you should notice the water temp every day when you feed the fish - either stick your fingers in the water or check the thermometer. If it seems unusually warm then check the heater.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can calibrate both heaters in a bucket of water one at a time, it's not that hard. Id much rather use two heaters than put an overpowered heater in a small tank. It is always recommended you use the smallest heater needed to heat the tank, yea theres not much price difference because it does not cost much more to make a slightly larger heater, you want the proper size not overkill. If you don't think the 50 watt is enough (and it should be) try the 75 watt not the 100 IMO...

Although I would go with using two 50's after you try to get a replacement, IMO. Sure one might turn on a little more than the other, but they will STILL hold the temp better and also give you more distributed heat, plus the saftey that if one of them sticks on the other should remain off.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Isn't it only like $2 more for the 100W than the 50W - I know the price doesn't double with wattage. I'd rather have the extra wattage for a room that is that cold.

I agree though - could be the sensor. Reach in the tank and hold your fingers near/on the heater - is it hotter than the surrounding water??

Two heaters is not a good idea without a common controller - if the settings are slightly different, one heater will always come on first and the other will likely never come on anyway.

Cooking fish with only a 100W heater in a 10gal seems unlikely - you should notice the water temp every day when you feed the fish - either stick your fingers in the water or check the thermometer. If it seems unusually warm then check the heater.
yes but he already has a 50 watt with a lifetime warranty... And again the generaly rule is to use as less watts as possible to maintain the temp, seems to be that the75 would be overkill as it is.... but I definately think his 50 watt heater is defective so he should get a replacement, even it if could not hold the temp with a difference of 20 degrees between the room and tank, it should only be about 2 deg off not 8! If the 50 is not cutting it I would add a second one or get a 75 watt. but liek I said do what you want. The 75 watt keeps my 24 gallon temps pretty solid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts