The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a “grow light” for a fish tank. I’ve been thinking about using one of these for a 75 gallon tank. I know it’s most likely over kill but I would dim it down and put a timer on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have 2 Mars Hydro that I use for my indoor veggie garden. They would be similar to what you’re looking out however I dont think they will do a good job. I tried putting one above my 60P Ada tank and it looked horrible lol. For some reason it was really yellow and I thought the penetration wasn’t as good.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have used grow lights over a tank. Tis too much light. The Monte Carlo had tiny leaves and it did not carpet. It grew like mini pyramids where it was planted. The plant growth was really dense where it was planted. Think of it this way, the growth looked like the studs on top of a Lego block

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Has anyone used a “grow light” for a fish tank. I’ve been thinking about using one of these for a 75 gallon tank. I know it’s most likely over kill but I would dim it down and put a timer on it.

See no reason it couldn't work.
But for the price, the amount you would not "use", and the lack of channel flexibility you can pick other options.
Not to mention the warm color tone

Only $70 more if you want a "big" powerful panel:
Plenty of simple strip lights tat could be doubled to create a wide panel or even hung.
Amazon.com: hygger 36W 24/7 Lighting Aquarium LED Light, Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight Mode and DIY Mode, Adjustable Timer Adjustable Brightness Fish Tank Light with Extendable Bracket 7 Colors for Planted Tank: Home Improvement

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.