The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me know what you think of my scape! Hardscape is pretty limited (what's in the tank is all I got), but I have tons of plants to move around! Working on an MC/DHG carpet, coming in slowly bu surely!

Post #18 starts the tank journal showing specs and this tanks progression!

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
I think it looks pretty nice as is. The only thing I would say was to add a couple stones on the right side just to balance it a tad, but again it looks beautiful and you stated the hardscape will stay the same. I like the buce on the DW and the red Up front and personal. The carpet will look very nice after a little while also. Overall, job well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, looks really nice already! Maybe something else red way in the back left corner, a couple stems of ludwigia Rubin or something similar to break up the greens a little. You've done a good job of varying textures, and I like the fact that some of your wood is still visible as wood. Great work!

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Looks nice and the plants look really good.

From an aquascaping prospective:

Since red plants are used sparingly in most scapes as a highlight to me it competes with the rock area that really should be the one focal point. I would move if possible the red plant in the grouping where the rock is and anything tall as well should be behind the main focal area with the rocks. On the right side I would just keep shorter plants.

Just my view on it, ultimately you should do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments! I really like the idea of adding some red behind the rocks in the back left, will be doing some research on what will work well (my tank is low/med lighting). Just to the right of the java fern and move the sag/vals o the right a bit.
@houseofcards I think adding the red there will help reduce the competition between the rocks on the left and the bold red AR mini on the right. I'll post some more pics when I find a plant I like.
@SKYE.__.HIGH I cold probably pull a stone from the edge/back of the rock arrangement and move it to the right corner to bring a better feel of continuity to it. Just to the let of the AR mini, in front of the anubias.

@ChrisX The upper corners have the canister filter outlets, so once the ludwigia repens starts to fill in, it starts to get blown sideways/to the front of the tank. Not sure if I can do too much about this.

I've been working on my plant cultivating skills. I'm now trimming the ludwigia repens as opposed to the cut and replant method, plants seem to be doing well. I haven't trimmed the hygrophila compacta or AR mini like this before. This month will likely be a learning experience for those guys (they seem pretty similar to each other tho). I think letting the plants get a strong rooting will cause them be bushier and grow-in more full/evenly, as opposed to growing straight up towards the light from one continual stem...?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
@houseofcards I think adding the red there will help reduce the competition between the rocks on the left and the bold red AR mini on the right. I'll post some more pics when I find a plant I like.
So I think you understand what I was saying. I was actually thinking you'd move the AR from the right to left, but you can also probably add a bigger grouping to the left and maybe reduce the grouping on the right so it' not as competitive.

If you put a line down the center of your aquarium both the left and right could be a good scape in two separate tanks, because IMO you have two strong focal points.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
@ChrisX The upper corners have the canister filter outlets, so once the ludwigia repens starts to fill in, it starts to get blown sideways/to the front of the tank. Not sure if I can do too much about this.
That seems like a restrictive setup. Most tanks have an input low on one side, and the output high on the other. This would enable you to grow to the top, at least on one side of the tank.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@houseofcards Ahh I see what you are saying, move all the red to the left and "smooth out" the right side. I always have felt both sides could stand alone, definitely agree with you on that. I like having the AR up front, so I think i'll try to blend things together more by adding/reducing the left/right.
@ChrisX Yea, I was thinking about getting a vertical spray bar for one of the sides to spread out the flow. I'm uneasy to change the flow though, as things seem to be working well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Let me know what you think of my scape! Hardscape is pretty limited (what's in the tank is all I got), but I have tons of plants to move around! Working on an MC/DHG carpet, coming in slowly bu surely!
I really like it! Reminds me of mine

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had some time to get into the tank and move some things around. Spaced out a couple rocks across the front. I also added a crypt to the front left. Still working getting a red plant for the background area of the driftwood.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Had some time to get into the tank and move some things around. Spaced out a couple rocks across the front. I also added a crypt to the front left. Still working getting a red plant for the background area of the driftwood.

If you're willing to pay USPS flat rate postage i have a red stem that grows about 6-8 inches wide (3-4" leaves). I'd send you about 5-10 stems of it. I think it might be Ludwigia Peruensis or AR Roseafolia. Not sure. Grows too big for my 17g but it's gorgeous. Might be able to find pics on my laptop tomorrow if you're interested.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it does look much better, rotated the middle stone so it would lay flat. Gives a bit of depth to the tank which you cannot tell from the pic. Also, the "grain" of the rock matched better with the rest of the rock. I trimmed back the hygrophila compacta and AR, hopefully I get some new growth soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easier on the eyes -- Trimmed the jungle back

After working on the right side I started to notice how Jungle-ly the left side was getting, Sags really grows and spreads quick haha. Did a big overhaul, move the buce down onto the rocks and thinned/pulled the sag backward. The Crypt Wendtii and Java Fern are much more apparent now. The whole scape feels much cleaner (Although I do enjoy a jungle scape too). I planted some AR behind the driftwood, we'll see if it grows in tall enough. I'd like to get some moss, probab;ly fissidens, for the driftwood space that opened up.

Still learning with trimming plants, AR mini is doing better. I can't seem to beat a K deficiency on the Hygrophila Compacta. Lower leaves get yellowish pin holes, degrade apart and fall off. I'm dosing EI and Flourish K. Leaning towards replacing it with S. Repens. (I'm reading it also has K issues... :/ )

Other updates:
New CO2 bubble (doesn't leak like the old one.... ha). Still need 6-7 bbs to get my pH down to 6.2/6.4 (Kh 4). Just using a diffuser tho. I think I'd like to build a Rex Griggs reactor, but idk how much of a hassle it would bea with the 406's and the ribbed tubing, thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
75 -- Equipment & Progression

Equipment List
75 gallon tank (duh lol)

2 - 36" Current Satellite LED +'s
1 - 48" Current Satellite LED +
(Total Par ~ 30)

2 - Fluval 406's
2 - 150W Fluval Marina Heaters

5# CO2 tank
Aquatek CO2 Regulator (5-7 bbs)

50 lbs Black Diamond Blasting Sand (BDBS)
30 lbs Flourite black sand
Osmocote+ Root tabs

Fertilizers
Modified EI Dosing
3x a week
~2.4g KNO3
~0.44g H2PO4

1x a week
5mL Flourish Iron
5mL Flourish Comprehensive

Water Quality
Gh 143.2 (8°)
Kh 71.6 (4°)
pH 6.6 - 6.8
NO3 40 ppm
PO4 5 ppm
Fe - 0.3 ppm goal
K - 40 ppm goal

Maintenance
50% Water changes weekly
Filters get cleaned ever 6 weeks (staggered 3 week apart)

Here's the progression of this tank thus far!

March 22nd - Just planted (upgraded from a 38 gallon)
IMG_3921.jpg

May 11th - 50 Days
IMG_4236.jpg

June 3rd - 73 Days
IMG_4303.jpg

June 7th - 107 Days
IMG_4372.jpg

Aug 4th - 135 Days
IMG_4615.jpg

Sept 5th - 167 Days
IMG_4815.jpg

Oct 11th - 203 Days
IMG_5410.jpg

Dec 3rd - 256 Days
IMG_5669.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think it's fantastic! What really matters is what you think, though. You have to look at it and work on it. Your opinion is what what counts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts