The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mixed up some diluted vinegar and water to clean out a new used tank that had a lot of build up. Without thinking I used my water change bucket to do so. Will it be safe to reuse for water changes if I rinse it out really good? This may be dumb, I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, it will be fine to use after rinsing. Vinegar is mildly acidic(which means it has free Hydrogen ions) so it would have little or no residue and even if it did there wouldn't be enough to change your water parameters, especially after rinsing.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Vinegar is one of those things that is so mild that it is almost always fish safe. It is often used straight from the bottle to clean tank with hard water deposits. It is safe but that also makes it somewhat less worthwhile for cleaning things. When you get new equipment, you don't know what has been in/on them. I've seen tanks that have had old grease rags and oil cans stored in them. Vinegar does nothing for snail eggs or oil.

When I want it clean and safe, I use what the public health folks do for our drinking water. I do a bleach water soak and then I know it is free of any hazards that vinegar might miss. Those who fear bleach, should not drink the water!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts