Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to buy a new video card for may PC, this is for Gaming

What is the difference between the 2 and what is the best

EVGA Geforce 7950 GT KO 512 Mb $269
and
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 312 Mb $299

My Video card right now is Geforce 7300 GS and the games is not that smooth, i noticed it when i change my monitor to 19" widescreen and connect it to DVI.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
i brought a ge force for gaming 7600, and my computer doesnt have enough watts to support it, lose a couple hundred dollars, it was on black friday though

mines was designed for HD gaming

Those probably have different purpose uses

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Get the 8800. Anything else is old tech.

The 8800 is the only DX10 video card on the market.
He speaks of knowledge.

I'm still rocking an ATI X1300 Pro. Battlefield 2142 is limited to everything on low except one or two things (doesn't matter because I still own your arse). That and my damned MOBO only supports 1GB of RAM (POS!).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my Specs:
Pentium Core Duo 3ghz
3 gb Memory Ram
300 gb Hard Disk

Cause i was thinking, the 8800 only has 320 mb not like the 7950 that has 512mb

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Get the 8800 card. just by its specs alone it is a more matured card. additionally it had much higher processing capibalities. Also keep in mind the 7950 is the highest possible ablity of that chipset. that means everything the chipset is designed to do is already unlocked and you are at as good of performance as it can be.
The 8800 can be unlocked for a significant amount of additional graphic power.

Heres one quick review.
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=445&card2=475#

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Too bad no games support DX10 yet. If you don't mind spending $300 on a card, which may require you to upgrade other components, depending on how old you conputer is, you may do well with something on the cheap, like a 7600GT or 7800GT, both which can be obtained for a whole lot cheaper. I bought a 7600GS about 6-8 months ago for $89 after rebate and it works great for everything I've thrown at it. It even runs Oblivion with mid-level resolution, with the sliders 75% or so...Not just "runs", but runs it well. 7600GT or 7800GT are probably in the $100-120 range by now and are even faster. I guess it all depends on what kind of gamer you are and how new your games are. Personally, I would wait for the Geforce 8x series to drop in price as well as games to start supporting it.

*edit*: Ok, your system looks similar to mine, so performance should be comparable (Athlon 64 x2 3800+ / 2GB DDR RAM)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.