The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentlly purchased a Victor Model No. 7-0155 regulator on Ebay. I understand it is a Victor 253 model with a needle valve on it. Does anyone happen to have this model? What I am trying to find out is if I need to replace their needle valve with a metering valve or not.

Mike

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I recentlly purchased a Victor Model No. 7-0155 regulator on Ebay. I understand it is a Victor 253 model with a needle valve on it. Does anyone happen to have this model? What I am trying to find out is if I need to replace their needle valve with a metering valve or not.

Mike
Yes. What comes with it, or any industrial regulator, is not a needle valve that is any use to us. It's a shut-off valve, and isn't able to control gas flow in the very small, very low range that we need.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
If it's a 1300 (1315, for example), it'll work, but it's not great. 1 degree stem types are much better than 3 degree stem types (they're all 13XX model, google Hoke millimite to get specifics). Bigger handles are always better, if you can find one.

Figure that 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn will cover all the motion we'll ever use for most valves we actually use (a few are better, many are worse). If the diameter of handle A is 1/4", and the diameter of handle B is 3/4", then a half turn on handle A means a point on the outside of the handle will move about 0.4 inches, while a point on the outer edge of handle B, with the same half turn, will move a bit under 1.2 inches. Big difference. I mention this because the stock handles on the millimites are tiny. 1/4" diameter, maybe *slightly* bigger.

Bump: By the way, I really like the Victor VTS250 regs. They're funky in a sorta steampunk way :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, they do have a certain old timey look to them, which I like as well. The Hoke 1315 I was looking at is a 3 degree, so I guess I'll pass on it. There is one older and pricier used Hoke Micromite, a number 1654002 for sale, which I can't find in the current Hoke catalog. Do you think this would be much better?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
There are a few micro-mites for sale. They're far more precise than the milli-mites. That said, the ones on Evilbay are old and used, so I have no idea how well they'd function. And they're expensive. But they're in a completely different league than the Hoke 1300's. My guess is the "002" is male 1/8" NPT. The others have compression fittings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again kevmo911. I appreciate your caution on purchasing an older used metering valve. This one is from a European outlet, Donetesk or somesuch, which might mean a metric thread. There's a place on the Hoke site which gives identifiers for metric thread identification on their products, but I still was unsure. Guess I'll pass again. I was hoping to find a good metering valve with npt threads to not have to deal with tubing fittings like all the Swagelok products seem to have. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to keep the cost below $100, if possible, to obtain a quality product (I am burned out on Chinese junk of any sort). I'm setting up a 125 gallon tank and have a 2"x24" Riggs type inline CO2 reactor in the works to be run off a Eheim Pro3 2180 thermofilter.

Mike

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
There's one seller on Evilbay that has two of the 002's for sale, but I'm not sure they're not the same item.

If you don't go for that, there's always the Ideal. Check aquariumplants.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.